Welcome to the Toshiba Support Forum, created for customers and enthusiasts to share knowledge, solve problems and discuss technology. To join the discussion, please login or register.

Thread: Satellite L350: What is better choice: Recovery disc or F8 repair?

1. Satellite L350: What is better choice: Recovery disc or F8 repair?
    Beginner
    Hi,
    I have a fairly new Satellite L350 (5 months). I recently discovered a trojan attached to program files for AVG software. I got rid of the trojan, did a restore to date before loading AVG in hopes that my system would go back to normal. It still continues to be slow, explorer keeps locking up and all sorts of quirky things keep happening! Yikes.
    I have the Recovery and Application CD that came with my laptop. Should I use the Recovery CD or should I try to just repair by using the F8 option? And if I use the Recovery CD what files will I lose, normally? I tried to search for a list of apps that are on that disc but found no info??

I have spent most of the day saving all my files on disc. I will lose some paid downloaded programs which I am willing to sacrifice if I can get my computer to love me again!!

Any advice would be helpful.
    Thanks

2. Re: Satellite L350: What is better choice: Recovery disc or F8 repair?
    Master
    >Should I use the Recovery CD or should I try to just repair by using the F8 option? And if I use the Recovery CD what files will I lose, normally?

I would recommend using the Recovery disk because the Recovery disk would format the whole HDD and will set the notebook to the factory configuration.
    If you have some viruses on the HDD then the HDD format might be the best option in order to remove all the Trojans and viruses.

Greetings

3. Re: Satellite L350: What is better choice: Recovery disc or F8 repair?
    Beginner
    Thanks for the answer...but one other question. Will I lose everything using the recovery disc? And how can I know what is on the recovery disc...will it be just bare bones?

Thanks

4. Re: Satellite L350: What is better choice: Recovery disc or F8 repair?
    Master
    As I said above; the recovery disk formats the whole HDD… so YES, you will lose the data which have been stored on the HDD!!!

On the Recovery disk you will find the image. The image is a package which contains the Windows OS, drivers, tools and additional software… simply said; after the installation from recovery disk you will find all this programs which were preinstalled at the beginning.

5. Re: Satellite L350: What is better choice: Recovery disc or F8 repair?
    Master
    Hi!

If you use the recovery disk the whole HDD will be formatted and you will loose all data on it.
    So backup your data first before you use the recovery disk.

Bye

6. Re: Satellite L350: What is better choice: Recovery disc or F8 repair?
    Beginner
    Thank you so much for your help!