Welcome to the Toshiba Support Forum, created for customers and enthusiasts to share knowledge, solve problems and discuss technology. To join the discussion, please login or register.

Thread: Satellite U200-115 - CD Rom error - can't activate the drive from windows

1. Satellite U200-115 - CD Rom error - can't activate the drive from windows
    Beginner
    Hi everyone,

I'm having some problems with my DVD rewriter drive on my Satellite U200-115.
    It works very intermittently and whenever I power up the machine, the first notice I get is 'cd-rom error' even though there is no disc in the drive.
    I can't activate the drive from windows either (icon in system tray).
    There is the odd occassion when the drive does work in windows but this is so infrequent that I can't remember the last time (I think it was back in Nov 08).

I want to restore the system as I am getting a lot of windows file icons instead of the proper icons for images e.g. pdf, doc, etc. but am worried that the drive wont read the disc or will stop working during the recovery process.

Any ideas would be gratefully received.

Best WIshes

Nick

2. Re: Satellite U200-115 - CD Rom error - can't activate the drive from windows
    Master
    If itís a software issue the drive will not stop working during the recovery procedure.
    Do you get a CD-ROM error in Windows?

You could try to boot from a Linux boot disk. If this work it would be a software problem and not a hardware problem.

Maybe this article from the Microsoft Knowledge Base can help you:
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314060