Welcome to the Toshiba Support Forum, created for customers and enthusiasts to share knowledge, solve problems and discuss technology. To join the discussion, please login or register.

Thread: Satellite Pro A100 - NMI parity check Memory parity error

1. Satellite Pro A100 - NMI parity check Memory parity error
    Beginner
    I sometimes get this BSOD error message over the past 2 months.
    *** Hardware Malfunction Call your hardware vendor for support NMI: Parity Check / Memory Parity Error *** The system has halted ***

It can occur whether the laptop is at idle or even refreshing back from a screen save or Stand By condition.
    Model PSAAPE - 00s00KEN 2Gb installed. I have checked that the memory is properly seated. It is a very clean laptop with no dust clogging things up. Apart from the Ram "going bad" and developing a fault, can anyone suggest an alternative cause? There does not seem to be an obvious solution to this problem on any forum that I have viewed so far. Maybe it is my RAM that is failing (but it seems to do so when it is not being stressed!) It might be the video drivers...who knows? I hope someone does.

2. Re: Satellite Pro A100 - NMI parity check Memory parity error
    Master
    Hi!

In your case I would check the RAM, I think this is the problem.

You can do this with Memtest86:
    http://memtest86.com/
    Memtest86 is a diagnostic tool to check the RAM. There you can also download a CD image.
    Itís easy to use. Run the test 3-4 hours and then you will see if the RAM has some errors.

Bye

3. Re: Satellite Pro A100 - NMI parity check Memory parity error
    Beginner
    Thanks for your suggestion, but I have run MemTest (3 passes) but it did not find an error. I realise further tests are needed to eliminate some obscure memory errors, but is there anything else that might give the "memory parity error"?

4. Re: Satellite Pro A100 - NMI parity check Memory parity error
    Akuma
    Do you have other Memory you can try?

Memtest is good, but software cannot detect all types of memory problems.

Also update the BIOS and see how that goes.

Failing that, it could be a faulty Mainboard or CPU.

5. Re: Satellite Pro A100 - NMI parity check Memory parity error
    Master
    Try an other memory module and only one if you have two installed.

As Akuma said it could be a faulty mainboard or CPU but this can not be tested.
    You can test the HDD with Drive Fitness Test. The procedure is similar to Memtest86 (download image, burning and boot from).
    http://www.hitachigst.com/hdd/support/download.htm#DFT