Welcome to the Toshiba Support Forum, created for customers and enthusiasts to share knowledge, solve problems and discuss technology. To join the discussion, please login or register.

Thread: Question - Windows Error Recovery loop on Satellite L350-170

1. Question - Windows Error Recovery loop on Satellite L350-170
    Beginner
    Toshiba Satellite L350-170 - Intel Pentium Dual Core T3200 2.00GHz, 2Gb, 250Gb, 17" TFT, DVDSM, VHP

My wife bought three weeks ago. Light use. Everything working fine, until a 'Startup Repair' dialogue appeared. Since then the machine wont boot.

Machine goes into 'Windows Error Recovery' immediately after Toshiba startup screen, and presents the following options;
    1) Launch startup repair
    2) Start Windows normally

Option 2 results in a blank screen, and eventually goes back to the 'Windows Error Recovery' screen.

Option 1 presents the Startup Repair dialogue box;

'Your computer was unable to start
    Startup Repair is checking your system for problems...'

At this point the Toshiba laptop gets into an endless loop.

So what do I do now? There are no system disks provided with the laptop, so I can't reinstall the operating system. The reseller (Comet) is less than helpful and wont entertain any refund or exchange for a defective product.

Can someone please help!

2. Re: Question - Windows Error Recovery loop on Satellite L350-170
    Master
    Try this:

Press F8 button immediately after notebook has been powered up.
    Then choose the first option called “Repair my Computer”.
    Then a new windows should open and there you could choose the option called Toshiba recovery.

Please note then this procedure would start the Toshiba HDD recovery and the OS would reinstall again. This would format the whole HDD and would set the OS to the factory settings.

In my eyes you can use this HDD recovery procedure or you can try to reinstall the OS using the Toshiba recovery disk.
    Both procedures lead to the same results…

Bye

3. Re: Question - Windows Error Recovery loop on Satellite L350-170
    Beginner
    Look in your User Manual at 'Chapter 3 - Getting Started', then to 'System Recovery Options'

If you don't have a manual for some reason you can [get one here.|http://uk.computers.toshiba-europe.com/innovation/download_manuals.jsp?service=UK]

Also there's a page on Warranty Repairs here in case of future problems.

4. Re: Question - Windows Error Recovery loop on Satellite L350-170
    Beginner
    Hi,

I am having the same problem.

I have tried both of the options stated, and all I get is a grey plank screen, and nothing happens.

I was not supplied with a recovery disk either. Is there anywhere I can download it??

Thanks
    Katie

5. Re: Question - Windows Error Recovery loop on Satellite L350-170
    Master
    No, it’s not possible to download the Recovery disk…
    You can purchase it here:
    https://backupmedia.toshiba.eu/landing.aspx

Usually the Recovery disk should be created at the beginning. There should be a program called Toshiba recovery disk creator. This software would crate an own recovery disk… but if you are not able to boot into the Vista then you will need the recovery disk for restoring.

6. Re: Question - Windows Error Recovery loop on Satellite L350-170
    Beginner
    Try booting to Safe Mode by tapping F8 on Startup. You will see Safe Mode on the Windows Advanced Options Menu. If it will boot to Safe Mode, try performing System Restore. If it will not boot to Safe Mode, try resetting the BIOS settings to default by tapping F2 on startup. It will redirect you to the BIOS page.

Press F9 to load system defaults. If still no go, the best option is to perform System Recovery. But I believe you don't have the Recovery Discs so better to contact Toshiba Technical Support to get the recovery discs. It's possible that they will send it to you for free because you did not receive the recovery discs when you purchased the system.

It's possible that you have the Toshiba Recovery Disc Creator installed on the computer so you could have created one when you got the computer but it's too late. Hehehe.