Welcome to the Toshiba Support Forum, created for customers and enthusiasts to share knowledge, solve problems and discuss technology. To join the discussion, please login or register.

Thread: Satellite L300 - Webcam driver open fail. Please restart camera or computer

1. Satellite L300 - Webcam driver open fail. Please restart camera or computer
    Beginner
    Hello,

I have recently bought a new Satellite L300 on Windows Vista Home Premium SP1. The Webcam worked fine for a few days and then the next time I booted up Vista, I get the following error "Webcam driver open fail, please restart camera or computer". Since the computer is brand new I reformatted to see if it wasn’t a program blocking something.

Reformatting 2 times and the error still come up on installation of the Camera Assistant Software for Toshiba. I downloaded the updated file from Toshiba support but still get the same error. The funny thing is that Device Manager does not even detect the webcam. There is no listing for the webcam. How can I tell that this is a hardware problem? Does anyone have any experience with this same problem?

The store I bought it offered to give me a new one but they do not have any in stock, so have to wait 3 weeks.

Thanks

2. Re: Satellite L300 - Webcam driver open fail. Please restart camera or computer
    Master
    Hi

The webcam should be listed in the device manager. It’s not called webcam but you should find it in “imaging devices” -> USB video device

The webcam should work properly. Usually after the webcam software installation you should find the webcam software in the MSCONFIG -> Startup
    If the webcam is listed there then this would mean that the webcam driver/software loads always while a notebook boot procedure.

In some cases there could be an compatibility issue between this software and an 3rd party applications like MS messenger or Skype for example.

In your case I recommend disabling the webcam software and further applications like MS messenger or Skype in MSCONFIG -> Startup.
    Then clean the OS and registry using the CCLeaner.

I would also recommend updating the Vista to the latest state! All patches and hotfixes should be installed!

Finally if you would like to use the webcam then you could start the software manually.
    The exe file should be placed in Camera Assistant Software.

Best regards

3. Webcam driver open fail. I have the solution, works every time.
    Beginner
    So I just got a Toshiba Satellite L355. From the first day I got it I kept getting the error message Webcam driver open fail. Please restart camera or computer.

I spent days and days scouring the tech forums looking for a true solution. None of it actually worked for me, The device would disappear from the device manager completely and downloading the drivers didnt work either.

I found it I get this message every time windows does an update. I stumbled onto the answer and I use it every time I get the message and it works.

*Shut down your computer and restart it, go to the boot screen should be F2 or F12, There is an option at the bottom of the screen that says something like load defaults or just defaults F9 on my system, Click yes to reloading defaults and save and exit, the camera should work fine after that.*

4. Re: Webcam driver open fail. I have the solution, works every time.
    Master
    Hi babs

Thanks for this info and workaround…
    I noticed some threads regarding this issues and hopefully you solution would be helpful for other here in the forum!

Bye

5. Re: Satellite L300 - Webcam driver open fail. Please restart camera or computer
    Beginner
    Hello

I bought a Satellite L350 and from the first day I get the same message as you do.
    I don’t know what to do and expect help from Toshiba....

Marc

6. Re: Webcam driver open fail. I have the solution, works every time.
    Beginner
    I did what you advised, but it still doesn't work
    Still the same error message "webcam driver open fail".

7. Re: Webcam driver open fail. I have the solution, works every time.
    Beginner
    The solution is sa next:

Go to control panel, system, device manager.

You should see that you see a device not recognized in yellow (for me it was something like CN7...).

Click on that device and click with properties on update driver and let windows search the internet.

After it works!