Welcome to the Toshiba Support Forum, created for customers and enthusiasts to share knowledge, solve problems and discuss technology. To join the discussion, please login or register.

Thread: Portege M400: USB ports not recognized

1. Portege M400: USB ports not recognized
    Beginner
    Hi all,

Given some problems with the USB ports (they recognized only few devices), I decided to delete their entries in the device management, under Universal Serial Bus. I did it because even the Toshiba website suggests it, given that the next reboot should cause the automatic recognition of the USB ports.
    Unfortunately, this didn't happen in my case. My M400 asked to me the CDROM containing the drivers (?) and four yellow question marks appeared as unknown devices in the device list.
    Then I tried to install the last update of the chipset utility but this didn't solve the problem.

What could I do? Is there anything else missing?
    Thanks in advance for your attention.

2. Re: Portege M400: USB ports not recognized
    Master
    Hmmmm... that’s very strange. Everything you done is right. When you wrote “problems with USB ports” can you please tell us what was happen exactly?
    I just hope there is no hardware problem.

What do you think about notebook recovering? I know, it is most radical method but if the problem persist after notebook recovering there can be serious hardware problem.

3. Re: Portege M400: USB ports not recognized
    Beginner
    To be precise, my problems with the USB ports started when I tried to install an update of the bluetooth stack and monitor (indeed, bluetooth stopped to work since that moment),
    By the way, it would be great for me to know something more about these issues:

1) I was wandering if there is a way to reinstall only that part of XP related to the drivers of the P&P...

2) I didn't install the full chipset utility because it scared me a bit. I installed only the -OVERUSB and -OVERMSB options. Could it make some difference? May I install the full package without any problem regarding HDD data loss or others?

3) I'm going to recall the last saved system recovery point (or something like, I've the italian XP) that I generated just before the USB record deletion inside the Device Manager. Do you think that this remakes the USB port management as before (some external devices are recognized, some not, but the USB ports are recognized for sure)?

Thanks again.

4. Re: Portege M400: USB ports not recognized
    Master
    You can try to install chipset again. It will not happen anything bad. In the first posting I have understand you have done full installation.

Just download it and install again. After restart check USBs entries in device manager.

5. Re: Portege M400: USB ports not recognized
    Beginner
    Something strange happens.
    The Chipset Utility can't arrive to the end. It freezes more or less in the middle. Independently from the option used (-OVERALL, -OVERUSB, etc.). How long should it take to perform all its actions? If I kill it is it safe to reboot the notebook (maybe some files have been copied while other not...)
    PS: moreover, why the installation of the chipset utility is so criptic? It doesn't work automatically, like all the other software update. You must use the command line with options... It sounds quite strange to me.

null

Message was edited by: phillo67
    News: the previous release of the Chipset Utility (2007) installs correctly (strange; it seems that the 2007 and 2008 releases in the Toshiba website are the same), but the problem of USB ports not recognized still remains.

6. Re: Portege M400: USB ports not recognized
    Master
    >but the problem of USB ports not recognized still remains.
    I recommend you to install OS again using recovery DVD. Please test it with “factory settings”.

7. Re: Portege M400: USB ports not recognized
    Beginner
    Never done before. Dunno if it's better to stay without USB ports or to risk 1 week of work reinstalling and retuning the PC... This is the average time required to me when I buy a new notebook.
    Does ALL the HDD content remain untouched (I mean, obviously, programs and personal data only) if I decide to reinstall the OS with the recovery DVD?

And, last question: is it normal a so strange procedure to install the update of the Chipset utility (command line with flags, etc.)? Why isn't it fully automatic like all the other patches?

8. Re: Portege M400: USB ports not recognized
    Master
    >Does ALL the HDD content remain untouched (I mean, obviously, programs and personal data only) if I decide to reinstall the OS with the recovery DVD?
    The recovery disk will format the whole HDD! The notebook will be set to the factory configuration. So everything will be erased.

>And, last question: is it normal a so strange procedure to install the update of the Chipset utility (command line with flags, etc.)? Why isn't it fully automatic like all the other patches

My Intel chipset package (not for M400) contained the setup.exe. So I could execute this setup file and install the chipset tool.