Welcome to the Toshiba Support Forum, created for customers and enthusiasts to share knowledge, solve problems and discuss technology. To join the discussion, please login or register.

Thread: Product Recovery on a Satellite x200

1. Product Recovery on a Satellite x200
    Beginner
    Hi,

I have been using my x200 for a while now but Vista is acting up and I want to re-install the OS.
    My worries is what information I might loose. The computer has 2 150gig HDs (it came with C: (Vista) 75g, D: (empty) 150gig, E: (empty) 75gig) so I am guessing the first HD was partitioned into 2 (C: & E:)
    I have since installed Windows XP on the E: drive so I could have both operating systems. I have also lots of other stuff (music, pictures, videos, games, etc).

Before I do the restore I am going to move all my stuff from the C: drive to the other drives (I need to use both D: and E: because D: is full). I know C: will be completely cleared and the other drives shouldn't be touched. But I am untrustworthy! I am worried the E: drive will also be cleared as it is on the same HD. I would just like to hear from anyone who has done a system recovery on a x200 with the same drive setup.

Please don't just tell me to back everything up, I don't have a spare 200+ gig's lying around.

2. Re: Product Recovery on a Satellite x200
    Master
    > I am worried the E: drive will also be cleared as it is on the same HD. I would just like to hear from anyone who has done a system recovery on a x200 with the same drive setup.

Yes, you are right. As far as I know the Toshiba Vista Recovery disk will format the whole HDD and will erase everything from the HDD; also the created partitions.

So before you will use the Recovery disk I would recommend backup the data on external HDD, DVD or similar…

3. Re: Product Recovery on a Satellite x200
    Master
    Hello

I don't want to write what you want to read but I want to write about facts and fact is follow: before the recovery procedure starts whole HDD (in your case the first one) will be deleted. During the recovery procedure it will be created two partitions again and Vista will be installed on partition C.

So I am afraid you will lose all data saved on HDD1. I have also Vista and WXP but I have installed WXP on first partition belongs to HDD2 and I can save my preinstalled WXP if something goes wrong with Vista.

So before you install Vista again using Toshiba recovery media copy all important data to second HDD or on some external device.

Bye

4. Re: Product Recovery on a Satellite x200
    Beginner
    Just to finish this off. My Vista died on the weekend (services wouldn't start that controlled the wireless and display drivers) so I said "f&$k it" and bought a 1TB external HD. After about 3 hours of backing up I put the restore disk in and away it went.
    It did ask how big I wanted the partition on the first disk and then re-formatted the whole disk, so I lost the Vista and Window XP, but the second physical HD in my notebook was untouched.

At least now I also have a backup of everything, you can never be too careful with computers!

Thanks
    J