Welcome to the Toshiba Support Forum, created for customers and enthusiasts to share knowledge, solve problems and discuss technology. To join the discussion, please login or register.

Thread: Is the recovery disk sensitive to hard disk size?

1. Is the recovery disk sensitive to hard disk size?
    Beginner
    Hello,

I just purchased my new laptop Satellite.

I have owned one of these pups before and so I know that the Toshiba recovery disk is a ghost image.

What I have done is wiped the hard disk clean as this was a show room piece from circuit city and couldn’t trust what was on there.

I am going to be putting Ubuntu on the laptop. I want to put Vista on a virtual machine.

As you can imagine, the virtual machine would have significantly less space than the actual size of the hard disk (200 gb) but of course large enough to accommodate the install of vista and all of the Toshiba goodies.

With that all said, will the image cough, hang and not allow me to install at the point of installing the ghost image because of the different size in space? So say the laptops hard disk space is 200 gb but I only allocate 50gb to the virtual hard disk.

Now I do have a legit business class version of vista from my schools Microsoft program, but I would like to use the home premium that came with the laptop and use what Toshiba had provided me.

So, will it work, or will it not?

Thank you for your input.

2. Re: Is the recovery disk sensitive to hard disk size?
    Wait a moment.
    Do you want to install recovery image on Virtual machine? If I am remembering well somebody here has already tried to do something like this but without success. I am pretty sure this will not work.

As far as I know new Toshiba notebooks are delivered without recovery media and everyone must create own recovery DVD. Have you already created your copy of recovery CD/DVD?

3. Re: Is the recovery disk sensitive to hard disk size?
    Beginner
    Feliks ,

Well, I literally bought this laptop 2 days ago. It has been going through a DBAN wipe ever since to really scrub the hard drive clean.

That said no, there is no image of anything from the drive itself when I bought it. I am going on my past experience. I bought a toshiba satellite 5 years ago and that laptop came with a toshiba recovery disk. That disk was a ghost image of XP including toshibas and affiliates software. I used this many times to rebuild my laptops system.

So, seeing the disk in the package that came with the laptop, I had assumed here that it was a ghost of vista along with toshiba and affiliate software.

So you feel that this was a bad assumption? They must have changed the content of their recovery disks?

I tried searching for previous posts of the issue but no luck, do you have a link to share?

4. Re: Is the recovery disk sensitive to hard disk size?
    Beginner
    Feliks ,

Well, I literally bought this laptop 2 days ago. It has been going through a DBAN wipe ever since to really scrub the hard drive clean.

That said no, there is no image of anything from the drive itself when I bought it. I am going on my past experience. I bought a toshiba satellite 5 years ago and that laptop came with a toshiba recovery disk. That disk was a ghost image of XP including toshibas and affiliates software. I used this many times to rebuild my laptops system.

So, seeing the disk in the package that came with the laptop, I had assumed here that it was a ghost of vista along with toshiba and affiliate software.

So you feel that this was a bad assumption? They must have changed the content of their recovery disks?

I tried searching for previous posts of the issue but no luck, do you have a link to share?

5. Re: Is the recovery disk sensitive to hard disk size?
    Beginner
    Did they change there recovery disks then?

My previous toshiba satellite came with a recovery disk that had a ghost image of xp and the all the other things that came pre-packaged in the setup.

I did not make an image before i wiped the laptop clean.

If not there is always the vista business version I have, I was just hoping for having the extra media goodies vista home prem. has.

6. Re: Is the recovery disk sensitive to hard disk size?
    Toshiba didn’t change the recovery images. When you buy new Toshiba notebook you will not get recovery DVD. Recovery image is saved on second partition in folder called “HDDRecovery”. If you want to have recovery DVD you must create it alone using “Toshiba recovery disc creator”.

When you start notebook for the first time small reminder will shown with follow content:
    *Important INFORMATION*

*Your system is equipped with hard disk recovery system. If you need to repair*
    *your computer by restoring it to original factory state, you can do it directly*
    *from harddisk (press F8 when you boot your computer, choose "Repair your computer"*
    *and follow the menu instructions) or create a bootable Recovery Disc Medium for this purpose.*

*Toshiba recommends you to create Recovery Disc Medium using the "Toshiba Recovery Disc Creator" to ensure*
    *hat you are able to restore your computer to the original factory installed state, even if your computer*
    *gets seriously damaged.*

So if you didn’t created recovery media alone I am afraid you will not be able to set your notebook into “factory settings” again, except you order new copy from Toshiba. But if you have own Microsoft Vista installations DVD you can install Vista anytime you want. The drivers, tools and utilities you can find on Toshiba download page.

7. Re: Is the recovery disk sensitive to hard disk size?
    Beginner
    Hmm,

thats interesting. I blasted away my old toshibas hard drive I do not know how many times and used the recovery disk to install xp. There was an incident once where the drive failed and I had to pick up a new hard drive of the same size - used the recover disk and it installed xp like a charm. This was on a 2003 toshiba satellite.

I wonder what the disk labelled "Toshiba recovery disk" that came with my new laptop that I just purchased actually is then.

Message was edited by: Capslock

8. Re: Is the recovery disk sensitive to hard disk size?
    >I wonder what the disk labeled "Toshiba recovery disk" that came with my new laptop that I just purchased actually is then.
    Don’t be confused buddy… the newer Toshiba notebooks with Vista OS are equipped with HDD recovery option. But it contains also an option to create a Recovery DVD in case the HDD will fail.

If you purchase a older notebook series with Win XP then it could be possible that you don’t have the HDD recovery option but instead of that you got a Recovery disk.

As you said above; the Recovery disk contains a image (I doubt it’s a ghost image yet) which contains a Windows OS, Toshiba drivers, tools and additional software.

Bye