Welcome to the Toshiba Support Forum, created for customers and enthusiasts to share knowledge, solve problems and discuss technology. To join the discussion, please login or register.

Thread: Re: Question about CD/DVD drive for Portege M400

1. Question about CD/DVD drive for Portege M400
    Beginner
    I have a Portege M100 - and the Cd Rom drive is not working.

Whenever I put in a disc I can just hear the motor spinning the drive but the computer is not picking up the disc. Device Manager picks up no faults.

There doesn't seem to be any firmware for sorting this (or am I wrong).

I saw a DVD drive for an M400 on ebay and wondered if that would fit my M100.

Before I buy it I wondered if anyone knew if it would be compatible. It seems to be correct dimensions wise, but wondered if my XP Portege M100 would be able to use it.

The description for the drive that I'd like to put into the M100 is below:

Many thanks for your time. :)

Description

Toshiba Ultra Slim Bay Portege M400, S100 & Tecra S3 DVD+/-RW Laptop Drive

Compatible Models:
    Portege M400, Portege M405,Portege S100-S113, Portege S100-S1132, Portege S100-S213, Portege S105-S1133,Tecra S3,

The Toshiba Ultra Slim SelectBay DVD SuperMulti Drive is a DVD burner that combines all the functions of a DVD player, DVD recorder, CD player and CD recorder into one ultra-thin and ultra-lightweight design. It gives you instant access to CDs and DVDs and fits neatly into your Ultra Slim SelectBay drive slot of your Toshiba Portege M400, M405, S100 or Tecra S3 portable computer. It is the ultimate portable storage solution for mobile users.

Ultra-thin and ultra-lightweight drive fits right into your Ultra Slim SelectBay drive slot of your PC, no extra unit to take on the road
    Convenient multiple function drive in one compact design: DVD-RAM, DVD+RW, DVD+R, DVD-RW, DVD-R, DVD-ROM, CD-ROM, CD/R and CD
    Productivity:
    Back-up important files
    Easily access CD and DVD based medias
    Use for multimedia presentations
    Fits your lifestyle:
    Watch your favorite DVD movies
    Play music and games
    Create your own DVDs or music play list
    Create CDs or DVs with ease
    Transfer data seamlessly between two drives - improve your productivity
    Reduce time spent transporting and saving files
    Simple slide-in, plug and play operation
    Includes Drag'n Drop CD+DVD3/B's CLiP, Win DVD Creater 2 and DVD-RAM driver software
    Compatible with Toshiba Portege M400, M405, S100 and Tecra S3 portable computer

Specifications

Speed (Max):
    Read: 24x CD-ROM, 8x DVD-ROM
    Write: 24x CD-R, 4x CD-RW, 10x HS CD-RW, 10x US CD-RW, 2x DVD-R, 2x DVD-RW, 2.4x DVD+R, 2.4x DVD+RW, 2x DVD-RAM
    Compatibility: CD-ROM(read), CD-R(read/write), CD-RW(read/re-write), DVD-ROM(read), DVD-R(read/write), DVD-RW(read/re-write), DVD+R(read/write), DVD+RW(read/re-write), DVD-RAM(read/re-write)
    Dimensions and weight: 5" x 5.5" x 0.4"; 3.9 oz

2. Re: Question about CD/DVD drive for Portege M400
    Master
    Hello

According userís manuals document for Portege M100 two optical disc drivers are compatible with your Portege M100L:
    TOSHIBA SD-C2612
    TEAC DW-224E

So if you want to have good working drive obtain one of them.