Welcome to the Toshiba Support Forum, created for customers and enthusiasts to share knowledge, solve problems and discuss technology. To join the discussion, please login or register.

Thread: Satellite A100-551 recognizes only 1GB RAM after memory upgrade

1. Satellite A100-551 recognizes only 1GB RAM after memory upgrade
    Beginner
    Hi,

I've just bought a 1 Gb RAM memory to upgrade my Satellite from 2*512 to 1*1024 + 1*512.
    The memory brand is Crucial.

Wherever I put my memory (1 Gb in slot 1, 512 Mb in slot 2 or the opposite), my computer only recognize 1 Gb.

Some ideas about this concern ?
    Do I have to put the same size of memory in each slot, may be ?

Thx in advance for your help.

Regards.

SBL68

2. Re: Satellite A100-551 recognizes only 1GB RAM after memory upgrade
    Beginner
    Do you run in Windows Vista?
    Some days ago I put an extra 1GB in my mom's laptop and it showed only 800 MB instead of 1.5GB of RAM. It seems that Vista is taking some memory for itself (that's what I've been told).

If that is not the problem, are you sure you bought RAM memory compatible with your laptop? Does it use DDRI or DDRII? I am asking for you didn't write anything about the memory except for the manufacturer.

Message was edited by: ClockworkPlum

3. Re: Satellite A100-551 recognizes only 1GB RAM after memory upgrade
    Master
    If you check this forum and search for RAM upgrade themes you will see that people who use Crucial modules have reported about compatibility problems.
    If you want to upgrade Ram successfully please use recommended modules from Toshiba or Kingston.

If you must choose between price and compatibility you should choose compatibility and good working modules. The compatible Toshiba DDR2-400/533 1GB module has follow part number - PA3411U-1M1G.

For Kingston modules visit www.kingston.com/

Good luck!