Welcome to the Toshiba Support Forum, created for customers and enthusiasts to share knowledge, solve problems and discuss technology. To join the discussion, please login or register.

Thread: Re: BIOS upgrade for a Portege R500

1. BIOS upgrade for a Portege R500
    Beginner
    Hi,

I want to upgrade the BIOS of my Portege R500 but I don't have a Windows installed on it. What can I do ?

Thank you.

2. Re: BIOS upgrade for a Portege R500
    Master
    Firstly; itís necessary to update the BIOS?
    Is something wrong with your notebook?

Secondly; the BIOS which can be found on the Toshiba European driver page can be updated only from running Windows OS.
    Therefore you will have to install Windows if you want to update the BIOS.

Greets

3. Re: BIOS upgrade for a Portege R500
    Beginner
    Hi Jayjay,

Bluetooth seems to be activated at boot time with the most recent BIOS, for the moment I have to use toshset with "-bluetooth on" option.

I know some BIOS can be updated with an external bootable media like a CD-ROM, why is it not possible for the Portege R500 ? I don't want to install Windows on my SSD...

4. Re: BIOS upgrade for a Portege R500
    Master
    On the Toshiba driver page you can find a BIOS 160-WIN.
    This is a BIOS WIN version and other versions are not available on the page and therefore you have to install the Windows to be able to execute the .exe file and to start the BIOS update.

By the way:
    >Bluetooth seems to be activated at boot time with the most recent BIOS, for the moment I have to use toshset with "-bluetooth on" option.
    Don't think that this can be solved by BIOS udpate. BT module can be disabled usign the FN+F8 buttons.

Bye