Welcome to the Toshiba Support Forum, created for customers and enthusiasts to share knowledge, solve problems and discuss technology. To join the discussion, please login or register.

Thread: Can I send Satellite A300-y00 for recovery procedure

1. Can I send Satellite A300-y00 for recovery procedure
    no_user
    I got problem in my Satellite A300-y00, which are virus, trojan or more threats.
    I want to ask if is it possible to resend back to Toshiba to reformat as a new one again?
    I mean that will they install the same software with included everything such as a new one in order to delete all threats.

Will it cost more?

2. Re: Can I send Satellite A300-y00 for recovery procedure
    Master
    Hi

As I’m not mistaken the A300 was equipped with the HDD recovery option.
    This means that you can recover the notebook and set it to factory settings very easly and without usage of the Recovery DVD!!!

So power up the notebook, press the F8 button and choose the option called “Repair my Computer”.
    Then a new screen should appear and there you will have to choose the last option called Toshiba Recovery or something like that.
    Then follow the instruction on the screen.

The whole HDD should be formatted and new OS with all the drivers should be installed

3. Re: Can I send Satellite A300-y00 for recovery procedure
    no_user
    > {quote:title=Jaba wrote:}{quote}
    > Hi
    >
    > As Iâ??m not mistaken the A300 was equipped with the HDD recovery option.
    > This means that you can recover the notebook and set it to factory settings very easly and without usage of the Recovery DVD!!!
    >
    > So power up the notebook, press the F8 button and choose the option called â??Repair my Computerâ??.
    > Then a new screen should appear and there you will have to choose the last option called Toshiba Recovery or something like that.
    > Then follow the instruction on the screen.
    >
    > The whole HDD should be formatted and new OS with all the drivers should be installed

what is actually "HDD recovery option", my laptop comes with xp downgrade cd. is dat what'd ya mean? but will i lose all this toshiba utility? such as camera,microfone or others.
    What is acctually power up and press F8, is when u install new vista OS.

4. Re: Can I send Satellite A300-y00 for recovery procedure
    no_user
    so after that recovery option done, the laptop should be back to first time i bought again?
    if i like to upgrade to ultimate one how can i do? i have to make back up first from business then install ultimate(i got ultimate cd keys and cd) then use restore whole computer backup into computer ryt? or other ways?

5. Re: Can I send Satellite A300-y00 for recovery procedure
    > So after that recovery option done, the laptop should be back to first time I bought again?
    Yes, the notebook is set now to the factory settings

> if i like to upgrade to ultimate one how can i do?
    You have to create firstly the Toshiba Recovery DVD using the Toshiba Recovery Disc creator.
    This recovery DVD is important and necessary for further recovery procedure. The point is that your HDD recovery will not work if you install the Ultimate because the option will be not available!

> i have to make back up first from business then install ultimate(i got ultimate cd keys and cd) then use restore whole computer backup into computer ryt? or other ways?
    Yes, you have to create firstly the Recovery DVD. Then you are on the safety side. Then you can install other OS.

6. Re: Can I send Satellite A300-y00 for recovery procedure
    Beginner
    > {quote:title=Jack Black wrote:}{quote}
    > You have to create firstly the Toshiba Recovery DVD using the Toshiba Recovery Disc creator.
    > The point is that your HDD recovery will not work if you install the Ultimate because the option will be not available!

1) how can i use toshiba recovery DVD, i mean give me steps or tutorial for using these?
    2) in that second answer u given what'd ya mean by *option*? d'ya mean like toshiba utilities such webcam,realtek audio. because in ultimate i can get more features than business ryt such as window media centre and more.

7. Re: Can I send Satellite A300-y00 for recovery procedure
    Hello Mickey

In this forum category you can find so many threads with exact explanation how to create and use recovery DVD.

Anyway I will try to explain the whole situation one more time:
    All newer notebook models, like your one, are preinstalled with Windows Vista. Toshiba doesn’t offer Vista recovery DVD. This recovery DVD must be created by user. So if your notebook is preinstalled with Vista use “Toshiba Recovery Disc creator” and made your own recovery DVD.

This recovery DVD you can use for further Vista installation. If you have WXP recovery DVD it is fantastic and you can have clean preinstalled WXP without many troubles.

Recovery DVD usage is very simply:
    Switch your notebook ON and press F12
    Put the recovery DVD into the optical drive
    On the display choose CD/DVD drive and press ENTER
    Follow the menu on the screen

That’s all!

Obviously you have an Australian notebook model. I use European notebook and hope the recovery procedure is the same.
    If you have more question you are welcome.

8. Re: Can I send Satellite A300-y00 for recovery procedure
    Beginner
    what does it mean by *_factory setting_*? will i lose all these toshiba utilties in this computer?
    what does it mean by preinstalled vista?

9. Re: Can I send Satellite A300-y00 for recovery procedure
    By factory settings it’s meaning that you will get the same notebook state like on first day when you boot your notebook for the first time.
    Don’t worry; you will not lose the Toshiba drivers or Utilities ;)

10. Re: Can I send Satellite A300-y00 for recovery procedure
    Beginner
    *thanx for ur info...*

So recovery DVD is needed when u r tryin to upgrade to ultimate or something in order to keep all driver and utilities back after installing ultimate vista, was dat u mean by using recovery DVD??
    So if i just wanna reformat because i wanna remove all my threats inside of my laptop, i just need to do go *"repair my computer"* only?? then my laptop should be like just when i bought it ryt, which have all drivers and ultilities installed?

so what actually restore from back up file ryt?

TYVM

11. Re: Can I send Satellite A300-y00 for recovery procedure
    You can use the option “repair my computer” which should start the recovery procedure from the HDD.

But additionally I would strongly recommend creating the Recovery DVD.

If something will go wrong with the HDD or the partition where the HDD recovery folder is stored then you could boot from recovery DVD and could set the notebook to the factory settings!

12. Re: Can I send Satellite A300-y00 for recovery procedure
    Beginner
    Thanx

I will give it a try then i will ask again if theres a problem :p

^how big for blank DVD to do recovery HDD? can use either DVD+R/-R or DVD RW? how many blank DVD do i need? then follow the steps how to use toshiba recovery HDD

13. Re: Can I send Satellite A300-y00 for recovery procedure
    Master
    It is nice to ask so many questions but you should try to create own recovery DVD and when you start the Toshiba Recovery Disc creator you will see what is written there. You can choose which empty media you want to use. If you need two of them it is also written there.

So, do not ask too much but try also to make your own experience. I recommend you to use DVD-R media.

14. Re: Can I send Satellite A300-y00 for recovery procedure
    Beginner
    i dont wana damage my laptop because its my laptop from my money i earned that;s why i have to know exactly before do and dont wan get worse

Last question for me Is it still ok to do revovery DVD while i got viruses or trojans in my laptop? if No what should do? or just purchase new antivirus with >$100 in here

15. Re: Can I send Satellite A300-y00 for recovery procedure
    Beginner
    What will happen *IF....*

i have done recovery dvd then i install vista ultimate in my laptop(im using vista business) and probably after couple days then i decide to change back to vista business by using repair my computer, so what i wanna ask is *will it affect* the factory setting, i mean that is possible to keep changing to ultimate then change back to business(but all utilities still there/not lose) because i wanna try to use ultimate one but if i am not satisfied with it then i am gonna change back to business.

16. Re: Can I send Satellite A300-y00 for recovery procedure
    If you are not satisfied with Ultimate you can easily change to your preinstalled business version by using the Toshiba recovery DVD. It will format the whole HDD, will erase the partitions, will delete the whole data and will install the Vista and drivers which were preinstalled on your notebook

17. Re: Can I send Satellite A300-y00 for recovery procedure
    Beginner
    i think i got some threats such as virus-trojan-malware or more. what will happen when i do recovery dvd? will these threats copy into this dvd? how big DVD should need for recovery DVD and which brand??

18. Re: Can I send Satellite A300-y00 for recovery procedure
    > what will happen when I do recovery DVD?
    Did you read my posting?
    I already said: It will format the whole HDD, will erase the partitions, will delete the whole data and will install the Vista and drivers which were preinstalled on your notebook

> how big DVD should need for recovery DVD and which brand??
    All DVD disks support the same size (4.7GB)
    You ask for brand? I use TDK DVD-R. In my opinion very good disk

19. Re: Can I send Satellite A300-y00 for recovery procedure
    Beginner
    so recovery dvd will delete everything including viruses,trojans malwares in my laptop.

If i install ultimate one, should i still download the *toshiba driver* from toshiba website??or its automatically with ultimate otherwise i just keep with my business??

Message was edited by: Mickey_Goddess

20. Re: Can I send Satellite A300-y00 for recovery procedure
    ALL Microsoft Windows operating systems are “clean”. This means that the OS doesn’t contain any 3rd party drivers. If you have installed a clean OS on the computer you would need to download and to reinstall the drivers from notebook/computer manufactures.