Welcome to the Toshiba Support Forum, created for customers and enthusiasts to share knowledge, solve problems and discuss technology. To join the discussion, please login or register.

Thread: Re: Portege M400 - Cannot recover - HDD is inaccessable

1. Portege M400 - Cannot recover - HDD is inaccessable
    Beginner
    Hi there,

Last year I've bought the M400 with XP Tablet on it, but though I give my notebook proper maintenance it's become so slow, that only a clean install will work.
    So I put the recovery CD in the drive, boot from the cd, choose whatever language (all languages give same error), and want to start the recovery, but then it says that my harddrive is inaccessable/can't find it.

But when I reboot (off the hdd), everything works fine (except it's very slow). I've checked the hdd for errors using HD-tune, no errors. I've deleted all the passwords and fingerprint passwords etc. but nothing seem to help..

Does anyone know how what to do next?

2. Re: Portege M400 - Cannot recover - HDD is inaccessable
    Master
    Hi

Did you try to reinstall the OS from Toshiba recovery CD???

Protégé M400 supports the RAID.
    The RAID needs the RAID driver and without the RAID driver the HDD is not visible for OS setup.

So if you use a clean Windows installation the RAID driver must be included firstly.

Please check also the user manual -> RAID

3. Re: Portege M400 - Cannot recover - HDD is inaccessable
    Beginner
    Yes, I've tried using the original recovery cd..! Have never changed anything in bios except for the bios password, so..

4. Re: Portege M400 - Cannot recover - HDD is inaccessable
    Master
    Anyway… you should check the BIOS if RAID configuration was set to JBOD or 1RAID-0

Again... check the user manual (Appendix D Toshiba RAID) for more details about RAID configuration.

By the way; try also installing the OS from Microsoft CD and include the RAID driver to the Windows XP CD using the nLite software.
    nLite is freeware tool which helps to include the RAID driver into a XP.

5. Re: Portege M400 - Cannot recover - HDD is inaccessable
    Beginner
    The RAID-function is set to1RAID0. In my knowledge the option has never changed..

But if I reinstall Windows, I can't use the 'toshiba' windows key can I? And how about losing the Tablet functionality when I reinstall 'normal' Windows?

BTW, I lost my 'main' recovery cd along with the manual and some other things during the last time I moved so couple of weeks a go I ordered a new recov cd for 35 euro's, so I'm pretty desperate to use that one....

6. Re: Portege M400 - Cannot recover - HDD is inaccessable
    Beginner
    Is here really noone who has had the same or similar problem and knows how to help me?

7. Re: Portege M400 - Cannot recover - HDD is inaccessable
    Master
    > BTW, I lost my 'main' recovery cd along with the manual and some other things during the last time I moved so couple of weeks a go I ordered a new recover cd for 35 euro's, so I'm pretty desperate to use that one....
    Ok… so you don’t use the recovery CD which came with the notebook…

It would be interesting to know if you would be able to reinstall the OS from Microsoft CD. This would help to find out if there is something wrong with the notebooks hardware/settings or with the Toshiba recovery CD.

Note: during the OS installation from Microsoft CD you should install the RAID driver

8. Re: Portege M400 - Cannot recover - HDD is inaccessable
    Beginner
    I'm not going to try to install XP from the Microsoft CD, because if that does not work, I've got a non working laptop basically right?
    And don't have the tablet functionallity for wich purpose I bought it in the first place..

And the CD I have ordered should be the same as the one that came with my notebook except some updated drivers/XP SP3?

9. Re: Portege M400 - Cannot recover - HDD is inaccessable
    Master
    > And the CD I have ordered should be the same as the one that came with my notebook except some updated drivers/XP SP3?
    Theoretically it should be the same;

So if your notebook can not be recovered using the Toshiba recovery CD then you should contact the ASP in your country for a notebook check, because it’s hard to say if this issue is related to the hardware or software.