Welcome to the Toshiba Support Forum, created for customers and enthusiasts to share knowledge, solve problems and discuss technology. To join the discussion, please login or register.

Thread: Satellite A200-1LA - unknown devices in device manager

1. Satellite A200-1LA - unknown devices in device manager
    Beginner
    I have the following listed as question marks in my device manager:

?Multimedia controller
    ?Network Controller
    ?Unknown device

I have installed the sound and it works
    I have installed the network adapter and it works

What are the above devices?

2. Re: Satellite A200-1LA - unknown devices in device manager
    Master
    Wait a moment. Which operating system you try to configure?

Have you checked on Toshiba download section if “installations Instructions” document is available? If you just follow this document you will install all you need and everything will be OK.
    Anyway, multimedia controller can be Multicard reader device, network controller is probably wireless card. I cannot say what unknown device is because I do not know which drivers you have installed already.

3. Re: Satellite A200-1LA - unknown devices in device manager
    Akuma
    ?Multimedia controller = could be the sound device or broadcom decoder or something else media related
    ?Network Controller = could be Wireless LAN
    ?Unknown device = could be anything. Try installing the Intel Chipset Driver.

If you still have no luck, find out the DEV number of those devices and tell us what it is.

Go to Start -> Control Panel -> System -> Hardware -> Device Manager.
    Right-Click on the Unknown Device, and select "Properties".
    Go to the "Details" Tab, select "Device Instance ID" in the dropdown list.

You will see something like PCI\VEN_????
    The VEN_ number is the Vendor or Manufacturer. For example, "8086" is Intel.

Examples:
    8086 = Intel
    10EC = Realtek
    14E4 = Broadcom
    1022 = AMD
    1106 = VIA

4. Re: Satellite A200-1LA - unknown devices in device manager
    Beginner
    Hi

I have the exact same problem. Been trying to get Wlan to work forever now... I installed Windows XP.

I have 3 yellow Questionmarks left, but what interests me ist the network controller one.... I finally want to get that wlan to work.

If I check the details, it says:

PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_4229&SUBSYS_11008086&REV_61\4&227 633DA&00E2

I cannot see a wlan adapter in the network connection window. I just see the 1394 Net Adapter and the Realtek RTL8168/8111.
    No wireless adapters.

I've tried so much all afternoon, reading forums and whatnot. I would love to get some help on this now.

Thanks all

5. Re: Satellite A200-1LA - unknown devices in device manager
    Akuma
    VEN_8086 is an Intel device.

Go to the Toshiba website and download the Intel Wireless LAN driver for your laptop model.

6. Re: Satellite A200-1LA - unknown devices in device manager
    Beginner
    Hi there

I did this.

a) there are more than 1 drivers
    b) cant find out which one I need. in the documentation it suggest I do a rightclick on the wireless... but as I said: it does NOT appear in the network card list. only in the device manager as described with a "?" and there are no information about which driver of the intel ones I need to use, or in other words, which intel wireless model I have installed.
    c) when I try to install one of the drivers, it stops saying: cannot find the device, please make sure its install/inserted (dont know the exact wording). so in other words: it does not find - like I dont - the network adapter.

normally it should show a network adapter, just not with an exact description, when only the drivers are missing, right? Well I can't see it. Read about alot of users that have the same problem, but none of their solutions worked for me (they dont all have the X200 Laptop, sometimes not even Toshiba).

What can I do??

7. Re: Satellite A200-1LA - unknown devices in device manager
    Master
    Hello changeup

You come here in this thread and report about the same problem. It is fine but maybe you should tell us which notebook model do you have. Exact the same like saflyfish?

By the way I do not understand how you cannot handle with this. If you have downloaded right WLAN driver click on each unknown device, go to properties and try to install the driver. One of them muss be the right one. If this works for me it must work for you too.

8. Re: Satellite A200-1LA - unknown devices in device manager
    Beginner
    oh wow sorry, true, didnt give you any details:

Toshiba Satalite X200
    Short Model NO: PSPBUE
    Win XP 32bit

can you tell me which driver I need exactly?

I get these Intel WLand Drivers that potentially should work:

Wireless LAN Driver Downloads

Intel PRO/Wireless 2100 XP 32 / 2000 1.2.4.41
    Intel PRO/Wireless 2200/2915 XP 32 / 2000 9.0.4.37
    Intel PRO/Wireless 3945/4965/5100/5300 XP 32 12.0.0.73.0

Thanks for the quick response!

9. Re: Satellite A200-1LA - unknown devices in device manager
    Beginner
    Mores, it finally worked. Although I dont know if I chose the correct driver, so if you still have the info, which adapter I should have exactly, I would love to have it. but I see the adapter now.

My fault: I always meant that I should be able to rightclick on the adapter... instead of the "?" and install from there! so I tried that, and the second driver worked (had to inf files there, one with a "k" and one with a "x" in the filename, so I chose the X one hoping it means win2k and winxp.

10. Re: Satellite A200-1LA - unknown devices in device manager
    This notebook model has an Intel WLAN card and I think Intel PRO/Wireless 3945/4965/5100/5300 XP 32 12.0.0.73.0 driver is the right one for you.