Welcome to the Toshiba Support Forum, created for customers and enthusiasts to share knowledge, solve problems and discuss technology. To join the discussion, please login or register.

Thread: SSD disk support on Portege M400

1. SSD disk support on Portege M400
    Beginner
    Hi to all,

is there a way to use a *SSD disk* in a Portege *M400* ?

Will be there a BIOS upgrade to support this feature?

I buyed a SSD 32Gb but seems not work!

Thank you in advance,
    3point

2. Re: SSD disk support on Portege M400
    Master
    Hello

I am afraid nobody here can you give answer to this. This is user-to-user forum and nobody here can say for sure what will happen in the future. If you want to pick up info from good source contact nearest authorized service provider.

Maybe they have access to such info.

3. Re: SSD disk support on Portege M400
    If the SSD uses a standard HDD connector, then it *should* work. But there may be a BIOS incompatibility problem, for example if the SSD requires a DMA mode or addressing mode that is not supported by the BIOS/Chipset.

Have you tested the SSD in another PC? Maybe the SSD is faulty, or simply needs partitioning and formatting.

4. Re: SSD disk support on Portege M400
    Beginner
    This SSD Disk has absolutely a standard SATA connector!
    And disk is fully functional, I used it in a SATA external frame USB and it's OK. (I have not another notebook sata)

Probably is a BIOS problem : I have upgraded BIOS to the last version on Toshiba site, but no way....

Do you think that Toshiba will release a new BIOS for my Notebook?

the disk is: TRANSCEND SSD DISK 32Gb Model: TS32GSSD25S-M

Thanks to all,
    3point

Message was edited by: 3point

5. Re: SSD disk support on Portege M400
    > Do you think that Toshiba will release a new BIOS for my Notebook?
    I didn’t find any details on the Toshiba support homepage regarding new BIOS update and the SSD Disk functionality…
    So if you will find more details or solution fell free and post it here

6. Re: SSD disk support on Portege M400
    Beginner
    SSD drives are 100% compatible with usual disk drives, so there will be no compatibility problem.

However, you should know that SSD drives have performance issues when you write small files. At least 90% of the SSD drives at the moment cannot handle more than 4 writes per second, an the writing performance is very low. If you use visual studio ( compiling creates small intermediate files) of other applications that need to write small files, you should not buy an SSD drive.
    As far as I know, only Intel X25-E series does not have that problem, but the 80MB model costs about $600 and it will be abailable within the next months.