Welcome to the Toshiba Support Forum, created for customers and enthusiasts to share knowledge, solve problems and discuss technology. To join the discussion, please login or register.

Thread: Question about XP Installation on Satellite A100-307

1. Question about XP Installation on Satellite A100-307
    Beginner
    Hello,

I have a Satellite A100-307 with problems to install Windows XP. Model PSAA9E-11F03XFR

The Recovery CD is lost and I installed the notebook with a normal Windows XP (sp2) CD.

During the Installation the monitor ist black.

Is the Installation without Recovery CD possible?

I created a Nlite CD with XP but the SATA Controller not found or the Installation break.

Help me, please.

Vtobi

2. Re: Question about XP Installation on Satellite A100-307
    Hello,

basically it´s possible to install an OS from a genuine XP/Vista CD, I think thats the reason why Toshiba provides drivers on their Driver Download site.

How do you mean that, the monitor stays black? A more precisely description would be better...
    Another question: which SATA controller did you slipstreamed on the XP CD?? I hope you´re aware about that the A100 has an older controller (should be an ICH7M).
    By the way: did you already seen this document from Toshiba?: http://aps2.toshiba-tro.de/kb0/TSB85017Z0000R01.htm

Greets

3. Re: Question about XP Installation on Satellite A100-307
    Beginner
    Ich have the text in Boot Screen: Intel Calistoga + ICH7-M

The Tool Nlite with the Intel Driver used.

I have the Toshiba Drivers not found. Can you give me the direkt Link?

The CD with create Nlite give me by the Booting system a black Screen with a fashing Cursor after Copy the Start Files.

Where is the Problem?

4. Re: Question about XP Installation on Satellite A100-307
    Master
    >Is the Installation without Recovery CD possible?
    Of course. You can use Microsoft installations CD and install your own WXP SP2. This notebook model is supported for WXP and all drivers, tools and utilities you can find on Toshiba support page.

I have installed WXP on the same notebook model but using recovery media. To be honest I cannot remember if SATA driver must be installed when installations procedure begins but I do not think so.
    I have checked Toshiba support page and SATA driver is not listed there. I think you do not need it at all.

>During the Installation the monitor ist black.
    Can you please explain what happen exactly? Installations procedure is pretty long and I do not know in which moment this happen.

5. Re: Question about XP Installation on Satellite A100-307
    Beginner
    steps are alreade:

1. Boot cd
    2. Hardware detecting
    3. Copy the first Files
    4. before the monitor switch to the Installations Process the monitor ist black with a flashing cursor

6. Re: Question about XP Installation on Satellite A100-307
    Master
    Are you sure you use Microsoft WXP with SP2?
    In my opinion it has something to do with installations CD. Do you use OEM-version?

7. Re: Question about XP Installation on Satellite A100-307
    Beginner
    It is a Winxp Sp2 CD. On the Cover: Windows XP Professional SP2

Message was edited by: vtobi

8. Re: Question about XP Installation on Satellite A100-307
    Installing a Retail (street copy) version of Windows XP on a Vista Toshiba Laptop.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If the laptop has a separate BIOS version for XP and Vista, download and flash the XP BIOS over the Vista BIOS.

If XP Setup does not detect the SATA Hard Disk, simply turn on “SATA Compatibility Mode” in the BIOS if this option is available.

If that option is not available, you need to use SATA drivers on a Floppy Disk during XP Setup. Follow these steps:

1) Download the Windows XP SATA F6 driver from the Toshiba Support/Downloads Website.
    If an individual F6 driver is not available, download and unzip the Intel Matrix Storage Manager driver. The Intel Matrix Storage Manager driver package should contain some folders under the "F6flpy" folder. For example: ICH7M_32bit for an ICH7 based chipset when installing Windows XP 32bit.

2) Copy the F6 driver files (iastor.inf, etc..) to a blank floppy disk. The actual files must reside in the root directory of the Floppy Disk. For example, A:\iastor.inf, A:\iaahci.inf, etc..

3) Use a Toshiba USB Floppy Drive with the Toshiba notebook. (some non-Toshiba USB Floppy Drives may not function properly during XP setup)

4) Boot from Windows XP CD-ROM, start the installation and ensure the floppy disk is inserted in the USB Floppy Drive.

5) When XP Setup prompts you to press F6 to install a Storage Driver, immediately press F6.

6) When XP Setup prompts you to select a SATA driver, select the appropriate driver and continue. For example: ICH7M Intel(R) 82801GBM SATA AHCI Controller, ICH8M Intel(R) 82801HEM/HBM SATA AHCI Controller

7) Keep the Floppy Drive attached and Floppy Disk inserted until XP has completed its installation. Do not Partition or Format the Hard Disk during XP Setup. The SATA drivers from the Floppy Disk are copied and stored on the Hard Disk during XP installation.

9. Re: Question about XP Installation on Satellite A100-307
    Beginner
    I have no Floppy Drive. I created a Boot CD with the tool Nlite.

The Problem ist not cleared.

What is false?

10. Re: Question about XP Installation on Satellite A100-307
    Beginner
    Help me, please.....

11. Re: Question about XP Installation on Satellite A100-307
    Master
    Please do not be mad on me but it is time for professional help.
    Try to find someone with good PC knowhow and I hope he can help you.
    I think there is no sense to discuss anymore. It is very important to have the notebook in front of you to understand what happen exactly.