Welcome to the Toshiba Support Forum, created for customers and enthusiasts to share knowledge, solve problems and discuss technology. To join the discussion, please login or register.

Thread: Memory upgrade for Satellite U200: Are modules supported with 667mhz?

1. Memory upgrade for Satellite U200: Are modules supported with 667mhz?
    Beginner
    Hi i am a new user and i am using a Toshiba Sat U-200-115. I want to upgrade it, and i am planning to do a 4 gig upgrade.

What i want to know, although it said this laptop supports 4 Gig upgrade, but this comp is using a DDR2 533 MHz memory. Whereas from Toshiba website, i can see only 1 Gig memory slot available with this clock speed and a 2 Gig DDR2 available with 667 MHz clock speed. What i want to know, if i want to upgrade to 4 Gig, will a memory with clock higher clock speed (667 instead of, 533) would work on this machine?

Thanks.

2. Re: Memory upgrade for Satellite U-200: Are modules supported with 667mhz?
    Enthusiast
    It is possible that it works with 667mhz memory modules, but why don't you just use 533mhz? Both slots support this. It depends on chipset which mhz modules are supported anyway.

So, just make sure the modules have the following specifications:

DDR2 533MHz (PC2-4200) 200-PIN SODIMM

3. Re: Memory upgrade for Satellite U-200: Are modules supported with 667mhz?
    Hi

Everything depends on the chipset in your Satellite U200-115.

If chipset supports the 4GB memory and the BIOS and Vista supports the 4GB memory too, then you could upgrade a use the full 4GB RAM.
    If the FSB supports also 667Mhz then the memory modules would also run wit the full 667Mhz speed.
    If the chipset supports only 533Mhz then the chipset would slow down the 667Mhz module and the memory would run only at 533Mhz.

So what you have to do is to check what chipset is equipped in the U200-115.
    The full details and chipset specifications you could find on the Intel page.

But generally there is no big difference between the 533Mhz and 667Mhz modules… the 667Mhz modules runs a little bit faster but you will not notice any performance boosts…

Regards