Welcome to the Toshiba Support Forum, created for customers and enthusiasts to share knowledge, solve problems and discuss technology. To join the discussion, please login or register.

Thread: Satellite A100-495 (PSAA9) - CPU and GPU upgrade

1. Satellite A100-495 (PSAA9) - CPU and GPU upgrade
    Beginner
    Hi all

I have some questions.
    I have a Satellite A100-495 with 2GB Ram, Core2Duo (2 x 1,83 GHz; T5600) and a NVIDIA Geforce 7600go.
    I want to upgrade the CPU and GPU. Is it possible?
    I do not want to make it. I search a shop (if its possible in Germany) that can do this.

If its possible, what it costs? And which shop can i contact?

If its not possible -> why?! It is fixed ; It get too warm?

Which alternative do I have? I dont want buy a new Notebook.

Kind regards
    Dave

2. Re: Satellite A100-495 (PSAA9) - CPU and GPU upgrade
    Master
    CPU and GPU upgrade on mobile computers is either pretty complicated or not possible. At first I must say that GPU is part of mainboard and graphic card cannot be upgraded at all.

What to say about CPU upgrade? Toshiba Authorized service providers will not do this and CPU upgrade is not supported at all. Few people on this forum have reported about CPU upgrade but for me the risk is too high. All hardware components are adapted to work well together and also reduce risk of hardware damage. The BIOS is also adapted for specific hardware configuration. The values for cooling fans are also tested and there is no risk of overheating.

Changing CPU you will not get more powerful notebook. The modern CPUs are powerful enough and few more MHz will not make more difference. What you can do is to upgrade RAM to the maximum level - 4 GB. Thatís all what you should do and your notebook will run much faster.

Pay also attention about OS configuration. This will also help to make your notebook faster than before.

By the way: for which operations you need more power? What you want to do with your notebook?

3. Re: Satellite A100-495 (PSAA9) - CPU and GPU upgrade
    Beginner
    Hi Ivan25,
    i work with my notebook. Program such as Photoshop CS3, video preparation and encoding (transformation) (like Nero and/or VirtualDub).
    Last, but not least "videogames". Older games are no problem. But new games are very problematic.
    I think that the CPU is good for the new games but the GPU is too weak.
    The CPU is for video preparation and encoding a little bit too slow (my opinion).
    I bought the notebook end 2005. It cost me 1300 euro(s). I dont want do sell it for one-third or less in ebay :).
    I have not the money to buy a new powerfull notebook for 1000 euro or more.
    I can invest 350 euro (+/- 50euro) in upgrades.

I am much underway. It is not worthwhile to buy a desktop computer. I hope you understand me.

4. Re: Satellite A100-495 (PSAA9) - CPU and GPU upgrade
    Master
    Hi David

The main reason why the people still buy the desktop PC is the easy hardware upgrade!
    Iíve got a gaming desktop PC because I can upgrade the CPU and GPU very easily.

Please donít mix the notebook technology and the desktop technology. The motherboard layouts are completely different and itís really not easy or mostly not possible to upgrade the CPU and graphic card on notebook's motherboard.

I hope you understand me too ;)

5. Re: Satellite A100-495 (PSAA9) - CPU and GPU upgrade
    Beginner
    Hi Chad,

i don't mix notebook and desktop technology. I know that desktop PC simply as notebook.

Why does it give no standard like in PC?
    If we have a standard designe and construction, would be much simpler with upgrade CPU and GPU.

Well, I think the subject can be closed.

By the way: What i get in ebay for my notebook?

6. Re: Satellite A100-495 (PSAA9) - CPU and GPU upgrade
    Master
    Problems by mobile computing is miniaturization and how to reduce the hardware temperature. On notebooks it is not so easy and because of that upgrade possibilities are restricted.

I presume you can get between 450 and 600 Euro. Of course, it depends on notebook condition.

7. Re: Satellite A100-495 (PSAA9) - CPU and GPU upgrade
    Beginner
    A little question to Ivan25,
    you say: What you can do is to upgrade RAM to the maximum level.

I use WinXP (32Bit). Does it be worthwhile? I think Win XP can only use 3 - 3,2GB.

8. Re: Satellite A100-495 (PSAA9) - CPU and GPU upgrade
    Master
    Maybe I can answer you question too;

All 32bit Windows operating systems support ďonlyĒ 3,2GB of RAM. Itís not matter if itís a Vista or XP.
    This is a simply 32bit limitation and the whole details and explanation can be found on the Microsoft website.

Greetings