Welcome to the Toshiba Support Forum, created for customers and enthusiasts to share knowledge, solve problems and discuss technology. To join the discussion, please login or register.

Thread: Portege M400 - High CPU temperature

1. Portege M400 - High CPU temperature
    Beginner
    Hi,

I'm having a problem with CPU temperature in my M400 (Vista OS). When I power up computer, initial temperature is around 35C, but after about 15 minutes of work it jumps to 60C and stays there.

Last night reached 80C and that really concerned me. I tried anything from upgrading BIOS (v3.6) to changing power options in Vista.

I don't know if this is actually funny, but a few days ago I placed a pack of chocolate next to cooler (about 10 centimeters away) and after 5 minutes I noticed it started to melt. :(

Please help! Any suggestion is welcome!

Regards,
    Jovan

2. Re: Portege M400 - High CPU temperature
    Master
    > I'm having a problem with CPU temperature in my M400 (Vista OS). When I power up computer, initial temperature is around 35C, but after about 15 minutes of work it jumps to 60C and stays there.
    60C are nothing unusual. My CPU temperature goes up to 70-90C while gaming or watching DVDs.

Does your notebook shut down automatically? If not then you shouldn’t be worried.
    The notebooks support an overheating protection. If the notebook would overheat then the notebook would shut down automatically to prevent the hardware from damage.

At the other hand it would be interesting to know if your cooling modules can run wit full performance. Sometimes the ventilators are clogged and cannot cool the CPU and GPU.

From time to time I clean my ventilators to ensure that the cooling is good enough.

Maybe you should clean the fans too.

Bye

3. Re: Portege M400 - High CPU temperature
    Beginner
    Hi Jayjay,

I haven't experienced any unusual shut downs so far. The only problem was keyboard buttons overheating. After using computer in tablet mode keyboard would become pretty hot.

However, as you suggested, I used vacuum cleaner on my computer and the situation is quite better now. Idle temperature is 44C-47C, while during high performance it goes up to 70C. The good part is that when I leave the computer idle for few minutes it automatically drops down to default 44C-47C (not like before).

Now, I can't be absolutely sure how I managed to do this, but it definitely has something to do with Toshiba Power Saver, which is only like "add-on" to Vista's power management. There is an option that sets CPU to Cooling optimized mode. The down side of this story is that my cooler is really noisy now but I don't care much! :)

Thank you for your help!
    Regards!