Welcome to the Toshiba Support Forum, created for customers and enthusiasts to share knowledge, solve problems and discuss technology. To join the discussion, please login or register.

Thread: Satellite A100 - Hard drive upgrade

1. Satellite A100 - Hard drive upgrade
    Beginner
    Hello all,

I want to upgrade my Satellite A100-847 with bigger and faster hard drive. I've chosen hitachi "travelstar", as the original one, but running on 7200 rpm. My question is may I use SATA II 3 Gb/s model, or should I choose SATA I 1,5 Gb/s as the original. because if my laptop does not support SATA II, the hard drive will not work.

Thanks in advance!

2. Re: Satellite A100 - Hard drive upgrade
    Master
    Well, as far as I know the A100-847 supports an SATA I interface.
    The SATA II HDDs are backward compatible but could not work with some older motherboards.

If I would be you then I would not risk any compatibility issues and would choose the SATA/150 (SATA I) HDD.
    In such case you can be sure that your new HDD would be recognized correctly.

Furthermore you should ensure that your new HDD size would be supported too.
    The point is that not all HDD sizes are supported by BIOS.

You unit was equipped with a 100GB HDD. Am I right? Well, in such case you could test some 120GB, 160GB and maybe a 200GB HDD.

Best regards