Welcome to the Toshiba Support Forum, created for customers and enthusiasts to share knowledge, solve problems and discuss technology. To join the discussion, please login or register.

Thread: Satellite M30 - BIOS Upgrade

1. Satellite M30 - BIOS Upgrade
    Beginner
    Help, how do I upgrade the BIOS of my satellite M30?

The procedure outlined by toshiba, indicates to copy the update on floppy 1,44", but the PC does not support this drive ..!

How do?

(i)

2. Re: Satellite M30 - BIOS Upgrade
    As far as I know every Toshiba notebook supports external USB FDD. Do you have one?

Anyway, I have checked Toshiba BIOS download page and there is just one BIOS update available. It is version 1.70 and it is WIN version. WIN version means it can be started under running operating system and you do not need FDD.

Which BIOS version you have now?

3. Re: Satellite M30 - BIOS Upgrade
    Beginner
    > {quote:title=Horwath wrote:}{quote}
    > As far as I know every Toshiba notebook supports external USB FDD. Do you have one?
    >
    > Anyway, I have checked Toshiba BIOS download page and there is just one BIOS update available. It is version 1.70 and it is WIN version. WIN version means it can be started under running operating system and you do not need FDD.
    >
    > Which BIOS version you have now?

I don't have external USB FDD.

I have the bios version 1.40.

I downloaded the version 1.70 win, but it not run.

There are other tools?

Message was edited by: gorsi

4. Re: Satellite M30 - BIOS Upgrade
    Master
    Hi

I wonder why you need the external USB FDD drive if your BIOS is a Win-version.
    You have to update this BIOS from running Windows XP OS.

Just simply execute the BIOS exe file and follow the instruction on the screen.

But note;
    Please ensure that your notebook is connected to the AC adaptor and disconnect all external devices. Furthermore the BIOS update procedure shouldn’t be interrupted.
    This could lead to the notebook troubles!

Bye

5. Re: Satellite M30 - BIOS Upgrade
    Beginner
    > {quote:title=Chad wrote:}{quote}
    > Hi
    >
    > I wonder why you need the external USB FDD drive if your BIOS is a Win-version.
    > You have to update this BIOS from running Windows XP OS.
    >
    > Just simply execute the BIOS exe file and follow the instruction on the screen.
    >
    > But note;
    > Please ensure that your notebook is connected to the AC adaptor and disconnect all external devices. Furthermore the BIOS update procedure shouldnâ??t be interrupted.
    > This could lead to the notebook troubles!
    >
    > Bye

OK, a small remark:
    The site toshiba, in this page http://eu.computers.toshiba-europe.com/cgi-bin/ToshibaCSG/faq.jsp?z=234&service=EU&from=faq_selection&CFID=B IOS&FID=TRO0000000b07 describes various methods to upgrade the bios.

particularly among the different methods outlined, my PC is between those for the procedure number two. This procedure provides:
    *BIOS Upgrade Procedure 2*

Equium A60
    Equium L10
    Satellite 1110
    Satellite 1130
    Satellite 2430
    Satellite A30
    Satellite Pro A30
    Satellite A60
    Satellite Pro A60
    Satellite L10
    Satellite Pro L10
    *Satellite M30*
    Satellite Pro M30
    Satellite M30X
    Satellite P10
    Satellite P20
    Satellite P30
    Tecra S1

1. Extract the zip file containing the BIOS upgrade to a temporary folder.
    2. Insert a formatted 1.44MB diskette in the floppy disk drive.
    3. Execute the extracted *.exe file in the temporary folder. Follow the instructions on the screen. A BIOS update diskette will be generated.
    4. Ensure the Notebook is connected to the mains.
    5. Turn the Notebook off.
    6. Place the diskette containing the BIOS upgrade in the floppy disk drive.
    7. Turn the Notebook on with the F12 key.
    8. The BIOS boot menu appears. Select "Removeable Device", "USB Floppy Drive" or the diskette symbol using the arrow keys. Press "Enter".
    9. The Notebook will boot from the BIOS upgrade floppy diskette.
    10. The BIOS update will start automatically.
    11. After a few minutes the Notebook will switch off automatically, remove the diskette and make a restart. If it does not then remove the diskette and turn the system off and back on to restart the Notebook.

Now the version I downloaded was appointed 1.70 win, but even if I click on the various executable files, nothing happens.

what do I do?

6. Re: Satellite M30 - BIOS Upgrade
    Master
    I know this Toshiba page and you could use the "BIOS update procedure 2" only using the BIOS trad-version.
    But on the Toshiba page you can find ONLY the BIOS WIN-version.

The Toshiba site said also this:

+For the current range of Notebooks Toshiba offers two different BIOS update procedures.+
    +1. Windows based update: BIOS is updated from within Windows.+
    +2. Traditional update: BIOS is updated using a diskette or CD-ROM when booting.+

+We recommend to update the BIOS from within Windows.+

So you’ve got a BIOS win version and should execute the exe file running WinXP.

I don’t know why you cannot execute the BIOS update file.
    Maybe there is something wrong with your OS, or your OS settings….

Try to download the BIOS once again, then unzip it correctly and then try to run the update again…

One question; Why you want to update the BIOS? Is something wrong with your notebook?

7. Re: Satellite M30 - BIOS Upgrade
    Beginner
    Reading various things on the Internet, I found that was considered proper upgrade the bios to improve the functionality of your PC.
    As to my notebook I never updated bios, and seeing that there is a more current version, I want to upgrade make it more current.

What is your opinion on this?

8. Re: Satellite M30 - BIOS Upgrade
    Master
    Believe me… if your notebook runs trouble free then you don’t need a BIOS update!
    My non-Toshiba notebook is about 8 years old and I have never updated the BIOS.

And everything is running ok.