Welcome to the Toshiba Support Forum, created for customers and enthusiasts to share knowledge, solve problems and discuss technology. To join the discussion, please login or register.

Thread: SD card doesn't work after XP SP3 install on Satellite P10

1. SD card doesn't work after XP SP3 install on Satellite P10
    Beginner
    I have a Satellite P10, which has a built in SD card reader. I got Windows XP SP3 from Microsoft update a few days ago, and suddenly the card reader couldn't see any SD card larger than 128MB. It was listed in device manager with a exclamation mark by it - and didn't show up as a removable drive in My Computer. Error message was "Device cannot start - Error Code 10"

I uninstalled SP3 , and it works again. I've tracked it down to this hotfix which is included in SP3:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/934428/

If I install this on it's own I get the same symptoms, and uninstalling it cures it again.

So for the time being I can't install SP3. Does anybody know if it's possible to remove a single hotfix from a service pack?

thanks
    Doug.

2. Re: SD card doesn't work after XP SP3 install on Satellite P10
    Enthusiast
    Hi,

wheres the problem?? Install the SP3 and remove the KB934428 afterwards simply by going into "Add & Remove" programs and checking the box "show updates".
    All Windows update-packages will be shown in the list of installed applications.
    Just go there, search for this KB-update and remove it to re-enable your SDcardreader.

Greets

3. Re: SD card doesn't work after XP SP3 install on Satellite P10
    Beginner
    That's a nice idea, but it doesn't work! Once SP3 has been applied, there are no uninstall options for the individual hotfixes - even with the "show updates" checkbox selected. SP3 is an "all or nothing" option - you have to take all the fixes that MS have rolled up into the service pack.

It's not that big a deal at the moment. It's a pain that I'll have to tell MS Update not to send me SP3, and one day in the future MS will stop shipping security patches for SP2 - at that point I'll have to chose between security or a 2GB SD card!

thanks.
    Doug.

4. Re: SD card doesn't work after XP SP3 install on Satellite P10
    Master
    The problem seems to be definitely the MS SP3.

It looks there are some compatibility issues between the SP3 and the SD card driver

I don’t know if it would helps but try to reinstall some SD card drivers from the newer Satellite series… the SD card driver should be newer and possibly could be fully compatible with the SP3.

Bye

5. Re: SD card doesn't work after XP SP3 install on Satellite P10
    Beginner
    Hi.. Any thoughts on which driver to go for? My P10 has exactly the same problem. Is it the SD Host controller I need to update?

6. Re: SD card doesn't work after XP SP3 install on Satellite P10
    Beginner
    Hi duleypd. Yes, I think it is the SD Host controller that is the problem. The bad news is I've not found a driver works. I'm in email discussion with Microsoft now though - and we seem to be getting somewhere. I'll update here if I get it working.

Doug.

7. Re: SD card doesn't work after XP SP3 install on Satellite P10
    Beginner
    With a little help from MS support I've fixed this issue. In this hopes that it helps someone else, this is what I did.

1. Uninstall SP3, and reboot into SP2.
    2. Copy the following files from c:\windows\system32\drivers to somewhere safe: sdbus.sys, sffdisk.sys, sffp_sd.sys. I put them on my desktop. They should all be version 6.0.4061.1
    3. Install SP3, and reboot.
    4. Shutdown, and restart using F8 to go into Safe Mode.
    5. Log in as Administrator (or another account with admin rights)
    6. In C:\windows\system32\drivers rename each of sdbus.sys, sffdisk.sys and sffp_sd.sys.to have a .old extension.
    7. Copy the files you saved in step 2 to c:\windows\systems32\drivers
    8. Shutdown and restart normally.

And that's it. Hope that helps.

regards
    Doug.

8. Re: SD card doesn't work after XP SP3 install on Satellite P10
    Beginner
    Doug..

Many thanks.. I'll give it a try too and will let you know!

Paul

9. Re: SD card doesn't work after XP SP3 install on Satellite P10
    Beginner
    Followed the instructions as above. All worked fine. SP3 Loaded and 2GB SD Cards read okay!

Again thanks for your help and perseverance with the e-mail exchanges with microsoft..

Regards

Paul

10. Re: SD card doesn't work after XP SP3 install on Satellite P10
    Beginner
    Thanks for this Doug - I've only just taken SP3 and found the same problem.
    However, being lazy I didn't really want to drop back to SP2 and then roll forward again unless I had to.
    I went looking and found the old drivers still lurking around on the system (in my case they were in C:\WINDOWS\$NtServicePackUninstall$).
    Renaming the "new" ones and replacing with the old ones seems to have done the trick!
    Regards
    Roger