Welcome to the Toshiba Support Forum, created for customers and enthusiasts to share knowledge, solve problems and discuss technology. To join the discussion, please login or register.

Thread: Satellite M40: Recovery procedure hangs on restart after using recovery CD

1. Satellite M40: Recovery procedure hangs on restart after using recovery CD
    Beginner
    Hi all

I have a customers Sat M40-197 which was badly messed up with malware so I did a full recovery using the supplied disc which has the product number PMR400490EN0. After restart the system just hangs in normal mode, and on safe mode I notice that the last line logged is Mup.sys but even in that mode the system still doesn't start. I've tried using Ghost in advanced mode not resizing the partition but no matter what I try I can't get it to start.

Before I take what I think is my only option of using a standard OEM XP Home disc and installing using the supplied product key I was wondering if anyone had any solutions to this?

Thanks in advance.

2. Re: Satellite M40: Recovery procedure hangs on restart after using recover
    Hi,

sounds first like some Recovery CD error. I mean its possible that the CD is physically damaged or whatever and then some data may be corrupted.

If not then I would assume the following reasons:

- HDD is not properly formatted -> reformat it completely and create one BIG partition
    - HDD is faulty -> check the HDD with some special HDD tool from the manufacturer (in most cases you can download it from the manufacturers website)
    You can also download "UBCD4WIN" (just google for it) and check your HDD with the integrated tools
    - The memory could be faulty -> use the "UBCD4WIN" and check the memory with "PI" or "SuperPI"

Thats it..
    ;)

Greets