Welcome to the Toshiba Support Forum, created for customers and enthusiasts to share knowledge, solve problems and discuss technology. To join the discussion, please login or register.

Thread: Portege 7220 does not recognize Memory Extension (Kingston)

1. Portege 7220 does not recognize Memory Extension (Kingston)
    Beginner
    Hello,

Recently i wanted to upgrade my old Portege 7220 notebook with one 256 mb Ram Stick by Kingston. According to their website it should work, but the machine doesnt recognize the memory at all. (just stays at using the 64 mb internal).

I cant upgrade the Bios either, because when i press F12 when starting the computer, it cannot read from the floppy drive in the docking station. Do i need an USB Floppy Drive for that? I tried with an usb stick but that doesnt work. Isnt there a possibility to do an update over windows? (Comp is running Windows 2000)

Thanks for your help, much apprechiated.

Rawnonymous

2. Re: Portege 7220 does not recognize Memory Extension (Kingston)
    Master
    > I cant upgrade the Bios either, because when i press F12 when starting the computer, it cannot read from the floppy drive in the docking station. Do i need an USB Floppy Drive for that? I tried with an USB stick but that doesn’t work. Isn’t there a possibility to do an update over windows? (Comp is running Windows 2000)

Only the TRAD version of BIOS exists for this Portégé.
    This means that you will be not able to update it from running Windows OS but you will need an external floppy disk drive to perform such update.

Regarding your memory issue;
    Check this:
    http://www.orcalogic.co.uk/asp/prodtype.asp?prodtype=5388&ft=m&st=3

There you can find the compatible memory module. It’s a 144-Pin PC100 SODIMM.

Possibly you have used not fully compatible module or the module is faulty…

3. Re: Portege 7220 does not recognize Memory Extension (Kingston)
    Beginner
    Okay, so i purchased this Ram from Kingston: KTT-SO100/256

http://www.ec.kingston.com/ecom/configurator_new/partsinfo.asp?root=&LinkBack=&ktcpartno=KTT-SO100/256

Kingston lists it as supported Memory for the Portege 7220.

Is it possible that the Bios is too old?

4. Re: Portege 7220 does not recognize Memory Extension (Kingston)
    Master
    I cannot see any details about the module which you have bought but I presume it’s a P100 144pin module too…

I don’t think your BIOS is too old but if a newer version is available on the Toshiba page then you could try to update it.

But firstly I would test another memory module… maybe your module is faulty…

5. Re: Portege 7220 does not recognize Memory Extension (Kingston)
    Beginner
    It is, and its a brand new one too. So before replacing it, i wanted to do an Bios Update.

This is where the next problem comes into play. So you press F12 before starting the Computer, then you are supposed to insert the floppy into the drive.
    But the Computer doesnt recognize the floppy in the drive on the docking station, nor on an floppy usb disk drive i connected for that matter, nor an usb stick.

How am i supposed to update the bios when i'm unable to access any drives in that mode?

The Portege just keeps on beeping.

6. Re: Portege 7220 does not recognize Memory Extension (Kingston)
    Master
    You can use ONLY a USB FDD drive. You cannot update the BISO using another FDD drive. The notebook shouldn’t be connected to the docking station during the BIOS update and other external devices shouldn’t be connected to the notebook too!!!

But to be honest I don’t think that this is a issue why the new RAM cannot be recognized.
    Possible the RAM is not supported/fully compatible/faulty or there is something wrong with the slot