Welcome to the Toshiba Support Forum, created for customers and enthusiasts to share knowledge, solve problems and discuss technology. To join the discussion, please login or register.

Thread: Satellite Pro L40: Bios update needed - no settings for RAM in 1.90 Bios

1. Satellite Pro L40: Bios update needed - no settings for RAM in 1.90 Bios
    Beginner
    Hi, i just bought an Satellite Pro L40 laptop and im trying to figure out why the bios has no memory settings.
    If i look at the ram using a system info tool (cpuz or aida320) it shows that it is not running at the advertised speed of 667mhz but at 533mhz.

As you can see from this screenshot the actual speed the memory is running at is lower than the maximum the sticks are rated at.

http://img135.imageshack.us/img135/4580/cpuz1pj5.jpg

Its running at 266mhz (533mhz ddr) when it should be running at 333mhz (667mhz ddr).

I've also noticed that with this laptop the fan never seems to come on, is there a way to turn the fan up?
    Everytime i have the laptop on for longer than 30 minutes it becomes very very hot.

2. Re: Satellite Pro L40: Bios update needed - no settings for RAM in 1.90 Bios
    Master
    Hi

> if i look at the ram using a system info tool (cpuz or aida320) it shows that it is not running at the advertised speed of 667mhz but at 533mhz.

What is your FSB?
    If the notebook was equipped with the PC2-5300 memory modules then they could run at 667 MHz but only if the FSB would supports 667 MHz! I think the FSB supports only 533Mhz.
    So I can say itís nothing wrong!

> i just bought an Satellite Pro L40 laptop and im trying to figure out why the bios has no memory settings.
    Why do you think that an BIOS update would enable the memory settings in the BIOS?
    Please donít mix the desktops with notebooks! The notebooks cannot be overclocked!
    The notebooks BIOS is not the same like a desktop PC BIOS!!!

> I've also noticed that with this laptop the fan never seems to come on, is there a way to turn the fan up? Everytime i have the laptop on for longer than 30 minutes it becomes very very hot.
    Did you notice any automatically shut downs or any other strange notebook behaviors like OS freezing for example?
    If not then the notebook runs properly and doesnít overheat.
    The notebooks support an overheating protection which would shut down the notebook automatically to prevent the hardware from damageÖ

So lean back dude and enjoy your nice toy ;)

PS: are you Carlos Santana fan? ;) I ask it due to your nickname ;)

3. Re: Satellite Pro L40: Bios update needed - no settings for RAM in 1.90 Bios
    Master
    Sorry but I would like to know which RAM settings should be there? I use Toshiba notebooks for years now and I have never seen any RAM settings.

Maybe you have much experience with desktops but BIOS on laptops is different and does not offer so many settings. Using all those tools you are maybe confused now. Do you want to make RAM upgrade?