Welcome to the Toshiba Support Forum, created for customers and enthusiasts to share knowledge, solve problems and discuss technology. To join the discussion, please login or register.

Thread: Is it possible to upgrade the Satellite A100-906 with 160GB 7200rpm HDD

1. Is it possible to upgrade the Satellite A100-906 with 160GB 7200rpm HDD
    Beginner
    Hello guys,

First of all, I would like to congratulate all people here for their good advices.
    Referring to my question, I would like to upgrade my HDD. I have the A100-906 laptop, which has a Hitachi HDD 100 GB 5400 rpm.

The hard disk, which I would like to buy, is also Hitachi but with bigger capacity (160 GB) and faster rpm (7200 against 5400).
    I am wondering, if my laptop supports this disk and if I have problems with temperature and noise, because the HDD works in 7200 rpm.

Summing up the above, is it really worth replacing my old 5400rpm HDD to a new one 7200 rpm?
    Should I buy a new one with 5400 rpm in order to avoid having temperature and noise problems ?

Please let me know your opinion and thanks in advance.
    Stl

2. Re: Is it possible to upgrade the Satellite A100-906 with 160GB 7200rpm HDD
    Master
    Hi

As you already know we can only speculate about the HDD size…
    In my opinion the 160GB could be possible. But it’s only my personal opinion.

Anyway… the higher HDD speed (7200rpm) should be a problem. I have noticed that many notebooks use the 5200rpm and 7200rpm HDDs. So I presume the warmness produced by HDD shouldn’t increase the temperature level to a critical level.

Greetings

3. Re: Is it possible to upgrade the Satellite A100-906 with 160GB 7200rpm HDD
    Beginner
    Dear Jeffrey,

First of all, I would like to thank you for your direct reply. I got in touch with Toshiba technical support center today morning and they assured me there is no reason to worry about capacity of 200GB. However, after my question about giving back the HDD in case of my BIOS doesnt recognized it, they proposed me to take my laptop there for testing, but only for Toshiba HDD.

Summing up the above, I have eventually decided to buy a 7200 rpm disk which capacity would be 200GB. I am between Hitachi and Seagate. I have seen many good reviews for both. I am thinking more of the Seagate HDD, because it doesnt increase so much the temperature of laptop and furthermore is a little more noiseless than Hitachi. On the other hand, Hitachi is a bit faster, but no one has everything in this world.

The question is that I dont know what "SATA 3.0Gb/s interface" does mean? Is it compatible with my Laptop? The Hitachi HDD mentions that is compatible both SATA 3.0Gb/s interface and SATA 1.5Gb/s interface. Please guys help me and I really apologize for all my questions. You can click in the links above to see the HDD.

Seagate

Hitachi

4. Re: Is it possible to upgrade the Satellite A100-906 with 160GB 7200rpm HDD
    Master
    According the notebook specification the HDD in your Satellite notebook has SATA interface and you should be able to use both HDDs.
    It is your choice to take a one. ;)