Welcome to the Toshiba Support Forum, created for customers and enthusiasts to share knowledge, solve problems and discuss technology. To join the discussion, please login or register.

Thread: Satellite A100 683: Can I upgrade internal card?

1. Satellite A100 683: Can I upgrade internal card?
    Beginner
    Hello there,

can anyone tell me if it is possible to replace the original networkcard (3945ABG) of the Satellite A100 683 with a new, n supported networkcard (4965AGN)?

I would say it should be possible since both are mini pci cards and I'm using Windows Vista (which is a system requirement for the 4965AGN), but it would be nice to have some confirmation before I buy this card.

Thanks in advance.

Wouter

2. Re: Satellite A100 683: Can I upgrade internal card?
    Hi

What card do you mean exactly?
    Do you mean the WLan or LAN?

I ask it because Iím not 100% sure what car you mean but from my knowledge only the WLan card is removable!
    As you said itís a miniPCI card and mostly two wires connect the card with the moboÖ
    The both cables white and brown connect the WLan antenna.

However, theoretically it should be possible to use another WLan card but I see really no reason for such upgrade.
    If you have a compatible Vista driver for your card then everything should work great.

Bye

3. Re: Satellite A100 683: Can I upgrade internal card?
    Master
    I really do not believe that someone has such info. Maybe you can contact authorized service provider in your country. They have very good info about upgrade possibilities and I really hope they can help you. If you need addresses and phone numbers please check http://eu.computers.toshiba-europe.com > Support & Download > Find an ASP.

Bye

4. Re: Satellite A100 683: Can I upgrade internal card?
    Beginner
    I realized I asked this question on this forum and thought it might be helpful for others to provide the answer myself.

It is possible to replace the internal WLan card. A reason to do this could be because of a defect card. In my case it is an upgrade to a 300n WLan card. There is just one downside to this upgrade: the 300N card uses three antennas where the norebook only provides two. This can either be solved by adding another antenna yourself or to decide just not to connect a third antenna: Performance is still good (up to ~255 Mbps connection), it will probably cause some loss of range for the notebook (I haven't tested this) but thats harldy a problem (for me).

So this upgrade is possible and provides a hugh network performance boost (combined with a 300N Network device) for a very low price (only about $25)