Welcome to the Toshiba Support Forum, created for customers and enthusiasts to share knowledge, solve problems and discuss technology. To join the discussion, please login or register.

Thread: Portege 2010 BIOS update / operating temperature

1. Portege 2010 BIOS update / operating temperature
    Beginner
    Hi,

how can I update my BIOS when using Ubuntu Linux?

The reason why I'd like to update my BIOS is that on the one hand Ubuntu
    writes an error message during boot-up and recommends to upgrade it and on
    the other hand I'm afraid that there is maybe a temperature problem, at least the
    notebook becomes slower after working for a while.

The notebook operating temperature usually is between 45-64 degrees.
    The fan turns on at 62 degrees and turns off at 52 degrees.

Temperature seems to be pretty normal I would say but I think its not normal that the
    notebook becomes slower when operating above 50 degrees.

I already opened it, it seems to be all right with the cooling unit, no dirt e.g...

Maybe I just persuade myself I and the performance is completely normal for a PIII with
    866MHz??

Thank you

2. Re: Portege 2010 BIOS update / operating temperature
    Dear Julio

I presume you know that Linux is not supported OS and designed BIOS update is created to be performed in running Windows OS. This nice Portege is known to me and I know very well that it is not the fastest notebook and it is designed for business purposes like working with Office, e-mail communication and every other everyday activity.

Because of that answer to your latest question can be: yes you persuade yourself.

3. Re: Portege 2010 BIOS update / operating temperature
    Beginner
    thank you for your answer.

Well I already had Windows installed on a second partition but when I tried to open the .exe file which was supposed to open an application to create a bios-update-disk, nothing happend!
    When I had a look at the process explorer there was a process running but thats it...
    By the way I have to mention that I don't have a floppy drive so maybe the application
    was searching for it....

Is there a chance to tell me the necessary content of it and to burn a cd instead?

Another question:
    I would have the chance to get a Portege R100 in good shape but with damaged screen,
    so as far as I believe the 2010 and the r100 are of identical construction right?
    So it shouldn't be a big deal to build my 2010 sceen into the r100?

regards

4. Re: Portege 2010 BIOS update / operating temperature
    Master
    >Well I already had Windows installed on a second partition but when I tried to open the .exe file which was supposed to open an application to create a bios-update-disk, nothing happened!

This is not 100% correct. If you perform the BIOS .exe file then a BIOS update should start. The exe file doesn’t create any “bios-update-disk”.

But I don’t think that a BIOS update would solve you Linux issue because the BIOS was designed for the Windows usage.
    Regarding the temp issue; the temp level seems to be ok so the BIOS update is not necessary.

Regarding you LCD question;
    The R100 supports an 12.1" (1024x768) TFT colour display and the Portege 2010 supports the 12.1" (1024x768) TFT colour display too.

So I see a good chance to use the same Portege 2010 display in Portege R100

5. Re: Portege 2010 BIOS update / operating temperature
    Beginner
    Hi,
    all right, but I just can tell you that I tried it for several times and nothing happend.
    Anyway, one more question:

I'm now thinking about a r100, can I expect a true improvement in performance or is there
    not much difference?

thank you

6. Re: Portege 2010 BIOS update / operating temperature
    Master
    I saw this notebook several times. I must say that R series is “next generation” in development of this slim notebook and as you can see this R series develops very successfully. As far as I know the last product is Portege R500.

To be honest I do not believe there is much difference to Portege 2010. It is very nice notebook and I like it very much. As Horwath already wrote this notebook is designed for business purposes and for me there is enough performance for working with customers.