Welcome to the Toshiba Support Forum, created for customers and enthusiasts to share knowledge, solve problems and discuss technology. To join the discussion, please login or register.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Chicony USB camera driver problem on Satellite M200

1. Chicony USB camera driver problem on Satellite M200
    Beginner
    Hello.

I have a problem and I have looked for days on Google, other forums etc. My problem is this that my Chicony USB 2.0 webcam is not working.

It is not like other problems where it is locked to other applications. With me I can not reinstall it. I have tried countless restarts, uninstalling the camera and restarting then waiting for the computer to automatically reinstall the hardware (which it tries to).

It constantly comes up with this error:

“The driver installation for this device is missing a necessary entry. This may be because the INF was written for windows 95 or later.”

I have a Satellite M200 laptop. I try to update the drivers but it tells me they are update. What should I do?

2. Re: Chicony USB camera driver problem on Satellite M200
    Hi

I think you are talking about the external USB webcam and not about the internal webcam which is included into some notebook series.

So in first case you should check the webcam installation instruction.
    Every 3rd party manufacturers provides an own device drivers and installation instruction.

In my case I had to install firstly the webcam driver and then after new reboot I could connect the webcam to the USB ports.
    Then a new device was recognized and the installation finished.

3. Re: Chicony USB camera driver problem on Satellite M200
    Master
    Hello

Sorry but the whole story is a little bit strange for me. I have also laptop with built-in Chicony webcam and it works perfectly.

Can you please tell me why you want to install webcam driver? Have you noticed some problems? Notebook is delivered with “factory settings” and cam is installed properly.

I can not imagine you have this problem from the first day. It will be very nice if you can explain why the webcam does not work anymore.

4. Re: Chicony USB camera driver problem on Satellite M200
    Beginner
    No I am talking about the built-in webcam in my m200 series laptop. I have tried uninstalling the webcam and turning it back on to reinstall the camera and that is where the problem lies.

Message was edited by: mraussie

5. Re: Chicony USB camera driver problem on Satellite M200
    Beginner
    In reply to your query, I made a rash decission to uninstall the driver for the webcam because it was constantly being locked by an unknown device. This was the advice I had previously been given for the issue to see if it would solve it. The problems came about thereafter when I was trying to reinstall the drivers. This is when the error:
    +"The driver installation for this device is missing a necessary entry. This may be because the INF was written for windows 95 or later."+
    came up.

Further more i cant find anywhere what the device model is (so i can not find a driver on the chicony website) nor does ANY of the drivers on their website actually work in the first place (i was going to download them and try by trial and error).
    I have also tried to update the drivers using vista's normal functions but it says they are up to date.

If i could find out what the device was (and find the drivers) or if toshiba could update me with the actual drivers i think thats the only way i can fix it.

6. Re: Chicony USB camera driver problem on Satellite M200
    Beginner
    can nobody help me with a solution?

7. Re: Chicony USB camera driver problem on Satellite M200
    I don’t understand this.
    The notebook was delivered with the preinstalled Toshiba image which contains the OS, drivers, utilities and additional software.
    All these parts were tested and should functions.

I think the best way to get the webcam working is the usage of the Recovery CD.
    Try to reinstall the OS again and check the functionality.

8. Re: Chicony USB camera driver problem on Satellite M200
    Beginner
    I have the same problem. I try to update the cam and now it does not work I have a Toshiba M200 Satellite can you give me the download link for the correct cam driver,

Do you mean install the system again and loose and my program and stuff?

9. Re: Chicony USB camera driver problem on Satellite M200
    Beginner
    Hi all,

I have a U305 and have the exact same problem: my webcam is locked by another application according to the error message, but nothing elses is running.

I have tried to send Microsoft an email for the hotfix. I received the hotfix but to no avail. I tried to uninstall the driver, same result. Finally I intalled Vista SP1 and it has not, repeat has not, fixed my issue.

I went to a lot of forums and a lot of us have this problem but I could not find a valid solution.
    Do you know a way to fix this?

Thanks in advance

10. Re: Chicony USB camera driver problem on Satellite M200
    I found an updated Chicony driver, give this a try (Vista): http://203.56.127.6/driver_download/Public//p2_all/ChiconyWebcam_v1.7.175.0123.exe

Also, try this hotfix: KB934374 if you don't have Vista SP1 installed. Apparently this hotfix fixes a few issues with webcams.

Its also a good idea to update your software that uses the webcam, such as MSN Messenger. The updated versions may contain bug fixes related to webcams.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast