Welcome to the Toshiba Support Forum, created for customers and enthusiasts to share knowledge, solve problems and discuss technology. To join the discussion, please login or register.

Thread: Portege M400 and 3.60 BIOS

1. Portege M400 and 3.60 BIOS
    Beginner
    Running Ubuntu Linux on the M400 and it seems almost all BIOS versions prior 3.60 are broken because there are APIC quirk errors on the CPU. Maybe Microsoft could work around the broken APIC tables for a while but with Linux things are a bit cumbersome. Microsoft asked Toshiba for a BIOS update to deal with these issues and starting from 3.50 it seems to be fixed.

see here

Even in Linux no more APIC errors are seen. :-) But after updating to 3.60 BIOS the boot screen stays active and is preventing me to select an option for a multi boot entry (grub). When the OS is already starting the boot screen turns white at first and then gives finally control to the OS. Are others seeing this as well?

I am able to select something in my boot menu but it's more guessing because the boot screen is still on top. Very annoying this :-(

Another issue I have is that sometimes the system freezes for a couple of seconds and then goes on, nothing to be seen in logs when using Ubuntu or WXP tablet. So could be a bug in BIOS once again. Again looking for confirmation, are other experiencing this as well.

Did reflash 3.60 a couple of times but seeing this behaviour over and over again.

Although there seems to be some fan control in 3.60. It doesn't fire like a DC9 but still not as silent as the 1.80W or 2.10N BIOS versions were. Love to see these fan noise changes incorporated in 3.60 and later…

2. Re: Portege M400 and 3.60 BIOS
    Master
    Hi Robert

I know you will hate me but the fact is that Portege M400 has sticker near the keyboard and there is written something like “Designed for Microsoft …”. With short words: Linux OS is not supported.

If you need some help with Linux on Toshiba notebooks please check http://newsletter.toshiba-tro.de/main/index.html

Issue about freezing is very strange and if you want to check it properly install recovery image without any additional software. In this case you will have “factory settings” and clean preinstalled OS. If you will notice some exceptional issues you should contact authorized service partner and clarify this.

Good luck!