Welcome to the Toshiba Support Forum, created for customers and enthusiasts to share knowledge, solve problems and discuss technology. To join the discussion, please login or register.

Thread: Computer freezes when installing bluetooth driver

1. Computer freezes when installing bluetooth driver
    Beginner
    Hi

I've bought a bluetooth USB dongle with toshiba bluetooth software. The installation freezes at the very end of the progress bar for installing the driver. I'm using Windows XP V. 5.1 SP2. Comm ports currently in use are 1,2,3,5 and one called "BT Port" (COM65) which may be blue tooth but may alternatively be something to do with BT broadband which is installed on the machine. In device manager "Network Adaptors" shows "Bluetooth Personal Area Network" and Bluetooth shows RFBNEP, RFBUS, RFCOMM, RFHID and Generic Bluetooth radio. The Bluetooth local COM utility in Control Panel shows no com ports in use. Any ideas?

Thanks

David

2. Re: Computer freezes when installing bluetooth driver
    deepblue
    Ensure that the "Bluetooth Monitor" software and any further 3rd party bluetooth stack are not installed.

3. Re: Computer freezes when installing bluetooth driver
    Beginner
    Hi - thanks for input. Have found and disabled sony ericsson software from my old phone which apparently included a bluetooth monitor on COM 500 (although there was no reference to this anywhere else!).

I removed them completely anyway. Still getting the same result however. Last thing to be reported during the install is "Bluetooth Audio Device (WDM)". The progress bar gets all the way to the end and then it freezes - can't use Task Manager or anything and I have to do a hard reset.

I'm installing Bluetooth USB Adapter V2.0 + EDR off the CD. The dongle is plugged into a USB hub (not into the back of the computer - I've run out of USB connections at the back since they are full of things that can't be plugged into a hub).

The install does seem to recognise the device, however, since on one occasion I didn't have it plugged in. It asked me to insert the device about a third of the way through the install and proceeded ok immediately I plugged it in (and then froze again at the end).

Couldn't find anything regarding a "bluetooth monitor" - is this part of Windows? (no reference to it in Help Files). Getting frustrated as you can imagine!! Is there a more recent version of the stack software that I can download - I've looked right through the Toshiba site but can't find anything obvious.

Many thanks for your reply and hoping you have further suggestions

David

4. Re: Computer freezes when installing bluetooth driver
    Beginner
    Hi - thanks for input. Have found and disabled sony ericsson software from my old phone which apparently included a bluetooth monitor on COM 500 (although there was no reference to this anywhere else!). I removed them completely anyway. Still getting the same result however. Last thing to be reported during the install is "Bluetooth Audio Device (WDM)". The progress bar gets all the way to the end and then it freezes - can't use Task Manager or anything and I have to do a hard reset. I'm installing Bluetooth USB Adapter V2.0 + EDR off the CD. The dongle is plugged into a USB hub (not into the back of the computer - I've run out of USB connections at the back since they are full of things that can't be plugged into a hub). The install does seem to recognise the device, however, since on one occasion I didn't have it plugged in. It asked me to insert the device about a third of the way through the install and proceeded ok immediately I plugged it in (and then froze again at the end). Couldn't find anything regarding a "bluetooth monitor" - is this part of Windows? (no reference to it in Help Files). Getting frustrated as you can imagine!! Is there a more recent version of the stack software that I can download - I've looked right through the Toshiba site but can't find anything obvious.

Many thanks for your reply and hoping you have further suggestions

David

5. Re: Computer freezes when installing bluetooth driver
    Beginner
    Hi - managed to find a driver from toshiba - V5.10.12. Downloaded and installed. At first it looked promising during initial install then it froze again in the same place. However - and I don't quite know how it did it - the icon eventually appeared and I was able to connect my phone - now I'll see whehther they'll actually talk to eacother! Thanks again for your input and I can only hope bluetooth continues to operate!

Thanks

David

6. Re: Computer freezes when installing bluetooth driver
    Beginner
    David,

What exactly did you download to fix this problem?

I am having the same issues. I bought a Garmin Bluetooth GPS and mapping software for my Satellite laptop. I also bought an ioGear Bluetooth USB dongle.

The Bluetooth and GPS works with a couple of other older progams on my laptop including other mapping programmes, but the Garmin programme wants the Toshiba DLL before it will operate. When I try to load the Toshiba Bluetooth stack it locks up at the same place you described.

Pete

7. Re: Computer freezes when installing bluetooth driver
    Enthusiast
    I would try to connect and disconnect the Bluetooth adapter or to switch off/on it with Fn+F8 key combination if an internal Bluetooth is used. Maybe the installer detects it after this.