Welcome to the Toshiba Support Forum, created for customers and enthusiasts to share knowledge, solve problems and discuss technology. To join the discussion, please login or register.

Thread: Portege M400: Can not install windows XP

1. Portege M400: Can not install windows XP
    Beginner
    Hello,

My friend gave me his Toshiba Portege M400 (PPM40E) to setup windows XP table (HHD being alredy formated copmletely).

Before I have never worked with SATA controller

So, during the installation some RAID drivers are required for any HDD being found.
    I've bought floopy USB device and downloaded some drivers from Intel.

Having suffered a bit, I found requireded (as I thought) drivers, HDD was detected (even licence agreement i signed) but than drivers were asked again to proceed the installation.

IF somebody faced with such problem can you send me on my e-mail (sasha16@mail.ru) required drivers or give me an exact link?
    Looking forward to your advice.

Thank you for understanding,
    Best regards from Russia

2. Re: Portege M400: Can not install windows XP
    Beginner
    At last I had installed windows Xp ,
    But at the first start there is an error "STOP message 0x0000007B " .

What's metter? What should i do?

3. Re: Portege M400: Can not install windows XP
    Hello

Maybe stupid question but why you do not use delivered recovery media for OS installation? As far as I know Portege M400 (PPM40E) is delivered with Windows XP Table PC Edition (WXP Prof).

Anyway, check please this article http://support.microsoft.com/kb/316401/en-us
    Maybe it will help you to understand the problem.

4. Re: Portege M400: Can not install windows XP
    Beginner
    Thanks a lot for your reply,

Unfortunately, recovery disks (with laptop) are in another country and from your artical i do not know how to solve the problem.

I think anyone who had changed the OS on this model of laptop faced with such metter.

5. Re: Portege M400: Can not install windows XP
    Beginner
    Maybe It will help to clear the situation:

Having installed RAID drivers (KR10I) from FDD USB in the very beginning (via F6 button) everything was as usual OK: licence agreement appeared, started copying.

But during copying there was a message that required KR10I.sys driver can not be copied (maybe because there are no RAID divers on the CD with windows XP Prof). However the driver (KR10i) is still at FDD.

I have an oppotunity to continue the installation pressing button ESC and the copying is going further.

At the first start of windows there is a blue screen with error: STOP 0x0000.....

When I tried to setup windows XP tablet PC while coping there was a message to enter RAID drivers into disk A: (FDD). (but they are still there) and i can not continue doing anything else.

HELP!

6. Re: Portege M400: Can not install windows XP
    Master
    Do you use “Windows XP Tablet PC Edition SP2” installations CD?

7. Re: Portege M400: Can not install windows XP
    Beginner
    Yes, but I also try XP Prof.

8. Re: Portege M400: Can not install windows XP
    Beginner
    Yes,
    I also try XP Prof SP2

9. Re: Portege M400: Can not install windows XP
    Beginner
    I had taken reanimator disk TOSHIBA with Vista and everything is RUNNING OK!