Welcome to the Toshiba Support Forum, created for customers and enthusiasts to share knowledge, solve problems and discuss technology. To join the discussion, please login or register.

Thread: Satellite P200HD-1DV: Event error on startup -Unable to start a DCOM Server

1. Satellite P200HD-1DV: Event error on startup -Unable to start a DCOM Server
    Beginner
    Every time I restart it is extremely slow and I believe caused by the following 2 errors that appear in the System Event Log as event ID 10000:

Unable to start a DCOM Server: {7160A13D-73DA-4CEA-95B9-37356478588A}. The error: "2"
    Happened while starting this command:
    C:\Windows\system32\igfxext.exe -Embedding

Unable to start a DCOM Server: {078AEF33-C48A-49F7-AFF3-A0EE810BFE7C}. The error: "2"
    Happened while starting this command:
    C:\Windows\system32\igfxsrvc.exe -Embedding

I believe they are Intel drivers but have failed to find a remedy to this problem.
    Other than a real slow startup there appears to be no other problem.
    Am I the only one with this problem and anybody know the cure?

2. Re: Satellite P200HD-1DV: Event error on startup -Unable to start a DCOM Se
    So, you figured out where the problem is but why didnīt you installed another intel graphics drivers? I mean, you know where the problem is and you can resolve it.

Otherwise, if a reinstall does not help it would be better to completely recover your system to eliminate the problem.

Greetings

3. Re: Satellite P200HD-1DV: Event error on startup -Unable to start a DCOM Se
    Beginner
    Well that is the odd thing here! The display adapter is ATI mobility Radeon HD 2600 and I have never attempted any install of an Intel Graphics device or Intel Graphics program and can find none to remove.

The registry is littered with dozens of entries for igfxsrv.exe and many more with igfx in the name. Recovering the system (I only got it 21 November 2007 direct from Toshiba and has all my programs installed that are bothersome with registration/licensing) will take time i don't have right now.

The igfxsrv error seems to have been present since first setup and maybe still there after complete recovery.
    I'm really reluctant to go back to the start just to see if the problem is not present!

4. Re: Satellite P200HD-1DV: Event error on startup -Unable to start a DCOM Se
    The igfxext.exe file belongs to the graphic card driver!
    I would also really recommend reinstalling the OS using the Toshiba recovery CD.

The procedure takes about 15min and all drivers and utilities will be installed on the notebook.

5. Re: Satellite P200HD-1DV: Event error on startup -Unable to start a DCOM Se
    Beginner
    Thank you Denis and Jack.
    I have solved the problem. But I do not think it is exactly how you would imagine.
    Firstly the graphics card is an ATI Radeon, not Intel and I never installed, even accidentally, an Intel graphics card.
    Here is what I did:

1) Clone hard drive
    2) Ran full system recovery
    3) Rebooted twice and determined the errors still existed using the recovery/product disk supplied. It warns and does indeed remove all data and settings.
    4) Concluded the drivers where erroneously installed and supplied for machines that were fitted with an Intel card and failed to be removed for those with ATI cards
    5) Deleted the exact 4 registry keys - as identified by the ridiculously long numbers.
    6) Rebooted to see if successful - It was - Tried it 3 - 4 times to make sure there was no system error.
    7) Cloned drive back, then deleted 4 offending keys

The result is a reboot time of at least 2 minutes less.

I had some difficulty with NVCache but rectified that by disabling it and then re-enabling. Its setting was probably damaged in the cloning process. All in all it took rather longer than 15 minutes. The successful process was more like 5 hours and previous wasted efforts more like 15 hours. Maybe I made hard work of it, but nevertheless those drivers should not have been on the recovery disk or on the new machine as it was delivered, no doubt.

6. Re: Satellite P200HD-1DV: Event error on startup -Unable to start a DCOM Se
    Quote Originally Posted by ian_4 View Post
    5) Deleted the exact 4 registry keys - as identified by the ridiculously long numbers.

The result is a reboot time of at least 2 minutes less.
    I also stumbled at this problem but due to a slightly different reason: Intel Graphics install leftovers when uninstalling and/or downgrading to basic WDDM-based driver (offered via Windows Update).

The problem caused errors when accessing the machine using Remote Desktop and switching to/from Interactive Services Session (also known as "Session 0"): sometimes long delays during user switching and, rarely, freeze the machine completely (i.e., power down/up).

The solution was also to remove the offending registry keys (in my case, only igfxsrvc.exe was not present).