Welcome to the Toshiba Support Forum, created for customers and enthusiasts to share knowledge, solve problems and discuss technology. To join the discussion, please login or register.

Thread: Question about memory & CPU upgrade on Satellite A100-551

1. Question about memory & CPU upgrade on Satellite A100-551
    Beginner
    Greetings
    I've had the misfortune to get 2 KVR667D2S5/1G sodimms for my Toshiba Satellite A100-551 laptop which don't work by themselves either as a single sodimm or as a pair, it doesn't matter which slot they go into - they don't work.

However when the orignal 512Mb sodimm is put back into one of the slots - it doesn't matter which - either of the kvr etc sodimms work giving a total of 1.5Gb of ram.
    Please help me to solve this problem.

Also is it poss. to upgrade cpu ie is cpu socketed. I've already upgraded many a laptop cpu when thay had socketed cpus, so I'm aware of the problems involved
    Thanking you all for your kind help in this matter.

Regards

2. Re: Question about memory & CPU upgrade on Satellite A100-551
    Hi Mike

> I've had the misfortune to get 2 KVR667D2S5/1G sodimms for my Toshiba Satellite A100-551 laptop which don't work by themselves either as a single sodimm or as a pair, it doesn't matter which slot they go into - they don't work.
    It’s clear -> modules seems to be not compatible ;)

> However when the original 512Mb sodimm is put back into one of the slots - it doesn't matter which - either of the kvr etc sodimms work giving a total of 1.5Gb of ram.

Cannot believe that! As far as I know this notebook was delivered only with one 512MB DDR2 533MHz (PC2-4200) 200-PIN SODIMM module.
    Of course you can upgrade the memory up to 2GB using two 1024MB modules.

The compatible memory can you find here:
    http://www.orcalogic.co.uk/asp/prodtype.asp?prodtype=20890&ft=m&st=3

> Also is it poss. to upgrade cpu ie is cpu socketed. I've already upgraded many a laptop cpu when they had socketed cpus, so I'm aware of the problems involved
    Well, what to say, the CPU is socked… you can find out it easily using an hardware diagnostic program like “Everest”. It would provide many useful information about your notebooks hardware.

But to be honest, I’m very skeptical about CPU upgrade on the notebooks.
    If you have already changed several CPUs on the notebooks then you should know that this is not very easy and more tricky like the CPU upgrade on the desktop PCs.