Welcome to the Toshiba Support Forum, created for customers and enthusiasts to share knowledge, solve problems and discuss technology. To join the discussion, please login or register.

Thread: Tecra 9100 - help choosing RAM

1. Tecra 9100 - help choosing RAM
    Enthusiast
    I Googled the Ram manufacture code 'PA3164U-1M51' to list all sellers of this type of memory. All sites listing this spec point to Offtek.co.uk. Strangely though, Offtek lists 'PA3164U-1M51' as 'Toshiba - DynaBook 1130-S156 - 512MB Module'. I'm not sure whether to trust this as I have a Tecra 9100.

Curiously, I searched Offtek from scratch for 'tecra 9100 ram' which led me to a product listed as 'Toshiba - Tecra 9100 - 512MB Module'. This however has no MFC and lists as a different product code. They're the same price though: £22.21.

Are they the same Ram? Because I don't want to buy one and realize I should have bought the other.

2. Re: Tecra 9100 - help choosing RAM
    Hi,

you must no go after the partnumber. The Tecra 9100 needs DDR RAM PC266. Only the PC266 counts!

So, if you want to be sure you buy the RAM which fits for that machine you must only buy a RAM with the PC266 specification which means you must google for PC266 DDR SO-DIMM.

The best ones for your machine are Toshiba or Kingston modules.

Hope I could help.

Greets

3. Re: Tecra 9100 - help choosing RAM
    Enthusiast
    The spec you mentioned is exactly what the Ram with the manufacture code I mentioned is. It's in the Tecra 9100 user manual. I'm just wondering which to choose from the two options though...

4. Re: Tecra 9100 - help choosing RAM
    LeChuck
    I just bought 512 MB of extra Ram for my girlfriends Toshiba Tecra 9100 PC.
    It's a slightly older PC, but I managed to find the right sort of Ram for it anyway from information on the net.

Now I've bought the Ram, and wanted to install it on the PC this evening. But there's yet one problem remaining, before I can do that. How do I gain access to the Ram slots inside the PC?

There's a container on the back of the PC, in which I expect the Ram to be placed. I've removed the screws, and am able to lift up the door - but only a few millimeters, just enough to be able to slide the door. However it also will only slide a few millimeters, and after that, I can get no further. So no I am stuck with 512 MB of brand new Ram and a PC, in which I cannot get to install the Ram, simply because I cannot get to the Ram slots.
    Anyone who knows how to get to the Ram slots, please respond. It will be greatly appreciated.

5. Re: Tecra 9100 - help choosing RAM
    Enthusiast
    OK, so I ordered Ram from Offtek.co.uk, which supposedly has a good reputation. My Tecra 9100 512mb Ram has arrived and it's in my laptop now. Once again, the Ram has completely slowed down my laptop. Boot time takes around 10mins compared to 5mins and everything is less responsive.

In case you don't remember me from a previous thread, I tried Ram from Crucial.co.uk months ago. It was Tecra 9100 512mb PCR 2700. Apparently compitable with my laptop, it did nothing but slow down my laptop. I sent it back and bought another, thinking it was just faulty. Again, the 2nd Ram slowed down my laptop so I then ran a Memory Diagnostic test revealing the Ram to be in perfect working order. So the first Ram I bought from them must've been fine but it simply did not give my laptop the boost it should have.

My original Ram is Toshiba 256mb PCR 2100. It runs fine without a hitch. I just wanted to make my laptop even faster but for some strange reason it just wont happen.

Luckily, Offtek wrongly sent me another Ram with the manufacture code that many have recommended for my laptop. I shall try it soon.

6. Re: Tecra 9100 - help choosing RAM
    Enthusiast
    I need SDRAM PC2100. PC2700, even tho the websites claim it works with Tecra 9100, is a no go for me. Every four modules I've now tried all slow down my laptop. I believe they were all PC2700 types.

My original Ram, PC2100 Toshiba branded, works great so I basically need the very same module but with 512mb instead of 256mb.

EDIT: I just found this on [eBay.|http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/512MB-Kingston-DDR266-PC2100-SODIMM-512-DDR-266-Laptop_W0QQitemZ280185007757QQihZ018QQcategoryZ802 01QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem] It's Kingston branded which is fine and it's PC2100. This seems perfect but before I buy it can someone please clarify it will work with Tecra 9100?

Message was edited by: lewislite

7. Re: Tecra 9100 - help choosing RAM
    Master
    Yes, in my opinion it will work!!!
    This DDR SODIMM module supports the 200-Pins so it should run on your notebook without any problems

8. Re: Tecra 9100 - help choosing RAM
    Enthusiast
    Well the eBay RAM has sold out and I just found [this!|http://www.ebuyer.com/product/39703/show_product_specifications] Be quick to answer if it works cuz there's only one left! I don't want this to be my 5th module that slows down my laptop!

9. Re: Tecra 9100 - help choosing RAM
    Master
    Seems to be okÖ

10. Re: Tecra 9100 - help choosing RAM
    Enthusiast
    Surprise, surprise the module did not work for me. I must have the worst luck ever when it comes to buying RAM from the internet :( This time when I installed the RAM my laptop did absolutely nothing when I turned it on. Only the front led's lit up.

I really thought it would work. What has a guy with a Tecra 9100 gotta do just did get a working RAM upgrade!

Here's the spec of the Kingston module:

*Storage Capacity* 512 MB
    *Upgrade Type* Generic
    *Type* DRAM
    *Technology* DDR SDRAM
    *Form Factor* SO DIMM 200-pin
    *Memory Speed* 266 MHz ( PC2100 )
    *Latency Timings* CL2.5
    *Data Integrity Check* Non-ECC
    *RAM Features* Unbuffered
    *Module Configuration* 64 x 64
    *Supply Voltage* 2.5 V
    *Compatible Slots* 1 x memory - SO DIMM 200-pin
    *Service & Support* Limited lifetime warranty ( Germany, Austria and France - 10 years )

I looked in my instruction manual and it said only the parts with the following manufacture no. can be installed:

PA3126U-1M12 (128mb)
    PA3127U-1M25 (256mb) (the original RAM I use)

Why do they not make a 512mb model?

EDIT: I just checked Google for the full spec for PA3127U-1M25.

Full Specification:

*Technology* DDR RAM
    *ECC / Registered* Non-ECC Unbuffered
    *Capacity* 256 MB
    *Bus Clock* 266 MHz
    *CAS Latency* CL2

Apart from the capacity, the only differences are the Kingston module Latency is CL2.5 whereas the the Toshiba module is CL2. The Kingston module is DDR SDRAM whereas the original Toshiba module is DDR RAM.

Do these differences really matter that much?

11. Re: Tecra 9100 - help choosing RAM
    I really surprised that this RAM doesnít work.
    Are you sure that the memory slots are ok?

There is also an original Toshiba RAM module PC2100 512MB (PA3164U-1M51) which should be compatible!

By the way; I found this memory module update site:
    http://www.orcalogic.co.uk/asp/prodtype.asp?prodtype=6183&ft=m&st=3

and the 200-Pin PC2100 (266MHz) DDR SODIMM works for sure!

12. Re: Tecra 9100 - help choosing RAM
    Enthusiast
    I already bought RAM with the manufacture no. PA3164U-1M51 (see first post). I bought it from Offtek even though it listed as Toshiba DynaBook series or something like that. Maybe only 256mb modules work with my Tecra 9100? I am really confused.

EDIT: Here is the spec of the module with the manufacture no. PA3164U-1M51

*Technology* DDR RAM
    *Capacity* 512 MB
    *Bus Clock* 266 MHz
    *CAS Latency* CL2.5
    *Form Factor* SO DIMM 200-pin

This spec is VERY similar to the Toshiba 256mb Ram. So why on earth did it slow down my laptop??? FYI the Ram didn't come to me Toshiba branded but with chips by Elpida. This is basically the same Ram as my original Toshiba 256mb Ram except it's 512mb and not by Toshiba. After comparing the specs I'm so confused as to why this Ram did not speed up my laptop.

13. Re: Tecra 9100 - help choosing RAM
    Enthusiast
    I ran a test on the RAM module above and it is actually PC2700. I think my problem is right there. Even though websites like Crucial and Offtek claim PC2700 modules are compatible with my laptop it actually seems they're not.

From now on it's PC2100 or nothing, which makes me surprised that not even the PC2100 Kingston RAM worked... unless it actually is faulty? I mean if it was working shouldn't my laptop have at least booted up and displayed a memory error, rather than not even turn on at all?

14. Re: Tecra 9100 - help choosing RAM
    Scholar
    I do not have time to read the whole thread. If you want to have high quality, compatible and tested RAM for your Tecra 9100 use PC2100 256MB (PA3127U-1M25) or PC2100 512MB (PA3164U-1M51).

Bye

15. Re: Tecra 9100 - help choosing RAM
    Enthusiast
    "or PC2100 512MB (PA3164U-1M51)"

I have tried RAM with the Manufacture No. PA3164U-1M51. It didn't work.

16. Re: Tecra 9100 - help choosing RAM
    tabbycat
    This must be very frustrating for you, not to mention the cost.

You appear to have tried all supported RAM types (PC2100 and PC2700) from reputable manufacturers.

If it were my laptop, I'd be coming to the conclusion that there might be some sort of motherboard fault, such that the RAM type may not be recognised properly. I'm no expert in this area, but my understanding is that this RAM is "read" by the motherboard, such that it knows what what timing etc to apply.

In my experience I have had virtually no problems with laptop RAM upgrades, but desktops have proved more troublesome, usually because there have been more BIOS settings available. I think I mentioned this before in another of your threads.

So, can't really recommend anything else, except to run extensive diagnostic utilities to see if this pinpoints any hardware issues.

17. Re: Tecra 9100 - help choosing RAM
    Beginner
    Am wondering whether to risk the same upgrade to my Tecra 9100 - has anyone managed to get more than 512MB to work without it slowing down?

The manual says the maximum it will take is 2x256MB modules, so perhaps this really is the limit?
    But various supplier website search tools report the 9100 has a max of 1GB and offer 512MB modules to achieve this.

Some sites mention that original manufacturer specs become superceded by developments in the technology, so higher maximums are often possible.

But I've also read that sometimes adding more memory can slow some systems down where there is not enough cache on the motherboard, in which case they say the only way to get the benefit of more memory is to change the motherboard first.

Maybe this was the problem that led to this thread, in which case then presumably it would be common to all 9100 series Tecra's.

Does anybody know for sure?

18. Re: Tecra 9100 - help choosing RAM
    Why you donít check the link posted by Markus77???
    It says; 1GB (2x512MB) is supported!