Welcome to the Toshiba Support Forum, created for customers and enthusiasts to share knowledge, solve problems and discuss technology. To join the discussion, please login or register.

Thread: Memory upgrade to Satellite A100

1. Memory upgrade to Satellite A100
    Beginner
    Hi,
    New to this. Doh. Put a 'Legend' 1GB memory upgrade (alongside the existing 500MB) into my A100 which was behaving slowly. Nothing seems to happen - in fact seems even slower. THe new memory does't show up under control panel - System....Should it? Do I have to do anything else to set it up and get it working apart from slotting it in?

Thanks for any advice,
    Mark

2. Re: Memory upgrade to Satellite A100
    Beginner
    Someone has recommended that the Laptop will not recognise two different sized memories in at the same time and that I should try the 1 GB by itself and remove the old 512. Could this be the case?

Thanks,
    Mark

3. Re: Memory upgrade to Satellite A100
    Master
    Hello Mark

I can just say that people have different experiences and very often give some unqualified information. I can say that you can use different memory modules (different capacity) but it is recommended to put bigger one into slot A and the module with lower capacity into slot B.

If you use 100% compatible modules you will not have problems and all described will not happen. With compatible modules the notebook will run faster and the whole RAM will be shown in System properties.

I do not know which Satellite A100 you have but for my second notebook Satellite A100-504 the compatible memory modules are:

DDR2-533 256MB (PA3389U-2M25)
    DDR2-533 512MB (PA3412U-2M51)
    DDR2-533 1GB (PA3411U-2M1G)
    Satellite A100 can handle with max 4GB RAM. If you want to have high quality RAM modules you can also buy Kingston RAM modules. The compatible modules you can find under http://www.kingston.com/products/default.asp

Bye