Welcome to the Toshiba Support Forum, created for customers and enthusiasts to share knowledge, solve problems and discuss technology. To join the discussion, please login or register.

Thread: Satellite A210-14S - Why do I get Bluescreen error often?

1. Satellite A210-14S - Why do I get Bluescreen error often?
    Beginner
    I own a Toshiba A210-14S for about 3 weeks, and got 6 bluescreens by now!

Two times, it happend as I transfered data from an external HDD to the Notebook's HDD.
    One time after installing ICQ from my external HDD.
    And three other times, it appeared without doing anything special, I was just using Word, Opera and downloaded a few files (my external HDD was not connected!).

I took a picture of the Bluescreen, why do I get this one so often, and what can I do against ist?
    (Sometimes without the line: "gHidPnp.sys - Address 8A8842C0 ......."

http://img488.imageshack.us/my.php?image=dsc05512dv4.jpg

2. Re: Satellite A210-14S - Why do I get Bluescreen error often?
    Master
    Hi

Generally itís not easy to say why the BSOD appears. Mostly the serious software or hardware problem could cause such BSOD error message.

I have investigated a little bit and searched for the gHidPnp.sys details.
    It seems this is a USB Device Enhanced Function driver and can be found in
    C:\ WINDOWS\ system32\ drivers\ghidpnp.sys and in the registry under this key
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE \ SYSTEM \ CurrentControlSet \ Services \ gHidPnp

Itís interesting to know if you have installed any drivers for your external HDD.
    Maybe there are some software conflicts.
    However, I would recommend updating the Windows to the latest state and to refresh the USB drivers.
    You could remove the USB ports from the device manager and after new reboot the OS should install it again.

Good luck

3. Re: Satellite A210-14S - Why do I get Bluescreen error often?
    Beginner
    My external HDD doesn't need any drivers to be installed, so I didn't do so.
    I update Windows constantly, so it still is on the latest state, but I'll try to refresh the USB drivers, as you said.
    I don't get this Screen every day, so I can't say instantly if it'll work.

Thx for your help! In about a week, i'll post if I get another bluescreen.
    Is there anything else I could do, if it won't work? Or would it then be the best, sending it to Toshiba so they can fix the problem?

4. Re: Satellite A210-14S - Why do I get Bluescreen error often?
    Master
    I think you should use the Toshiba Recovery CD and should reinstall the whole OS.
    If this BSOD will appear on the OS with factory settings (do not install any 3rd party software) then possibly there is an serious fault.
    In such case you should always contact the ASP in your country for a notebook check. I think the warranty is valid and therefore such tests should be done for free!

5. Re: Satellite A210-14S - Why do I get Bluescreen error often?
    Beginner
    I removed the USB-Ports from the device manager, and reinstalled all after rebooting.

The system didn't recognize my USB-Mouse, even as I typed in the installation path of the driver manually. That didn't worked either, so I used a standard driver from Windows and deinstalled the mouse software (in whose folder I found a file called "ghidpnp.sys"), and by now I didn't get anoter Bluescreen =)