Welcome to the Toshiba Support Forum, created for customers and enthusiasts to share knowledge, solve problems and discuss technology. To join the discussion, please login or register.

Thread: Portege M400: Why am I not asked for a password at boot?

1. Portege M400: Why am I not asked for a password at boot?
    Beginner
    Hi,

I have a Portege M400 and I used the Toshiba Security Assist software to set up a BIOS boot password as well as an HDD protection password. This software, as well as the actual BIOS (Esc+F1 at boot) both show that the password I set is registered/recognized.

However, I am not actually asked for either of those passwords when I boot the computer!!!

I have a dual-boot system with the original WinXP for Tablet PC on one of the partitions, and an Ubuntu Feisty on another. My boot loader is GRUB but I don't understand why that should affect the behaviour of the BIOS that should happen before it calls the boot loader...

Can someone help me with this? It would be really important for me to protect my BIOS and the hard drive.

Thanks in advance,
    dsokus

2. Re: Portege M400: Why am I not asked for a password at boot?
    Enthusiast
    1. Check your security settings with the Toshiba password utilty. Are these configured correctly?
    2. Did you set the user or the supervisor password? If you only set the supervisor password you are not asked for the password.
    3. Try to set the HDD and User pw in the initial bios setup (press ESC when prowering on).