Welcome to the Toshiba Support Forum, created for customers and enthusiasts to share knowledge, solve problems and discuss technology. To join the discussion, please login or register.

Thread: How to reduce FAN big noise on Portege M400 with Vista

1. How to reduce FAN big noise on Portege M400 with Vista
    Beginner
    M400 (vista with most recent utilities for power model) FAN permanently blows very noisy regardless of real cooling need.

Even with zero job loaded, under 1% activity (flat curve), 50 % processor speed in the power model and all power parameters at the minimal value, FAN does not reduce speed. After a restart, for a short time, the noise is supportable, we can conclude that the FAN seems to be capable of low speed.

On all M400 we have, problem is the same.
    How to work with M400 in a quiet environment ?

2. Re: How to reduce FAN big noise on Portege M400 with Vista
    Scholar
    Which BIOS version is installed on your Portege M400?

3. Re: How to reduce FAN big noise on Portege M400 with Vista
    Beginner
    I'm not sure it is a bios problem, but to answer to your question :
    Tosh say install 1.8 bios but 1.8 is not vista compatible and has no support.
    All recent bios including 3.60 are "noisy".

4. Re: How to reduce FAN big noise on Portege M400 with Vista
    Beginner
    Hi, same problem here. I had my mobo replaced by toshiba..no effect. I'm using BIOS 2.1N which is less noisy on lower temps..but I really think the fan itself is noisy when it spins.

Does anyone knows if there's a more silent replacement fan for the M400?

5. Re: How to reduce FAN big noise on Portege M400 with Vista
    Master
    Hi

Toshiba has designed “special” BIOS version and it was long time ago. This BIOS version was designed before Vista launch and now we can not say it is not for Vista.
    Of course it is not for Vista.

Under Vista there is pretty new situation. At first I must say that it is well known that Vista uses much more resources as WXP. Secondly you know very well that M400 has a lot background running processes. If I am remembering well under WXP there was between 60 and 70 running processes. Can you please tell me how much running processes are listed on your M400 under Vista?

It is really not easy to say what to do. I think you have only two solutions: either wait till Toshiba do something (can take a long time) or try to reduce all running processes and try to optimize running operating system. I do not believe it will help much but you can try.

6. Re: How to reduce FAN big noise on Portege M400 with Vista
    Beginner
    Hi,

Hundred processes and threads sleeping produce a very few Joules. The problem of M400 cooling cannot be related to sleeping memory content.

During our tests, there is under one percent processor activity, the only activity is that of the fan ...

The reason is the risk of high case temprature. It will be a good thing if I'm allowed to burn my fingers instead of burning my ears if I want. No ?

7. Re: How to reduce FAN big noise on Portege M400 with Vista
    Master
    Hi

Mike is right. There was a BIOS version for Windows XP which has reduced the fan rotation! The fan table in the BIOS and the CPU performance were changed to decrease the temperature rising and the fan behavior.

The BIOS version designed for Vista is simply different. The Vista OS needs much more resources as the early Window versions and therefore CPU and the fan table in the BIOS cannot be changed to reduce the performance and the temperature increasing.

That’s a simply fact.

PS:
    > The reason is the risk of high case temprature. It will be a good thing if I'm allowed to burn my fingers instead of burning my ears if I want. No ?
    This is not your free decision. The notebook manufacturers produce and design the own products which have to be safe for everyone!!!
    So please don’t be mad at me but your little suggestion above is simply nonsense!

Message was edited by: admin

8. Re: How to reduce FAN big noise on Portege M400 with Vista
    Beginner
    It seems that the "message APPROVAL machinery" is down.

9. Re: How to reduce FAN big noise on Portege M400 with Vista
    Beginner
    My Fan is always blowing to much (air at output is cold!) with no significant processor activity. Nothing changes and no pertinent response was given.

10. Re: How to reduce FAN big noise on Portege M400 with Vista
    Beginner
    I'm using vista with 2.1N bios, no problem except two buttons are not working below the screen (i button and the one next to it on the right).
    The cooling method for Toshiba power savings settings for vista , under power options, is best set to max performance to reduce fan noise, but not cpu power.

cheers

11. Re: How to reduce FAN big noise on Portege M400 with Vista
    Beginner
    I have bought a number of M400's for my company. I used to have an M200 and that was the greatest laptop I ever had - thus I did not hesitate to buy M400's. I still think it is a decent laptop, but it has a number of issues of which the noise is the most annoying.
    I use the 3.6 BIOS since the 1.8W does not let us use our 24" displays (connected to port replicators) in their native 1920 x 1200 resolution.
    The 1.8W is much better noise-wise, but 1600 x 1200 on a 1920 x 1200 is not useable for us.

The other issue is the slow harddisk - I tried to replace it with a Hitachi 7K100 like I had in my old, silent M200, but it wouldn't boot up after installing the new disk and cloning the contents. This makes me worry what will happen when prises of solid state 2.5" drives get sufficiently low for me to upgrade...

12. Re: How to reduce FAN big noise on Portege M400 with Vista
    Beginner
    .mmm.. I replaced the harddrive with a the same 7k100, you have to get into the bios to init the built in hdd to 1raid-0, that's important.
    Then you have to boot from windows cd and use a raid driver on usb diskette to install ...

13. Re: How to reduce FAN big noise on Portege M400 with Vista
    Master
    To reduce the fan noise on the Portégé M400 you have to update the BIOS to a special version. Take a look on the Toshiba European driver page!!