Welcome to the Toshiba Support Forum, created for customers and enthusiasts to share knowledge, solve problems and discuss technology. To join the discussion, please login or register.

Thread: Recovery of my Satellite A30-303

1. Recovery of my Satellite A30-303
    Beginner
    Hi there,

My Satellite A30-303 needs to be recovered as XP is constantly hanging and crashing, and I would also like to be able to create a partition with a linux distro onto it, but the problem is that the DVD-RAM drive no longer works, and I have been using an external DVD-RAM drive for some time now (the LG GSA-2166D) to read and write my CDs, but I can't get the laptop to boot from this device as it is USB. Is there a way of booting from this device or is there another workaround?

Many thanks to anyone who can help me.

Ali

2. Re: Recovery of my Satellite A30-303
    Master
    Hi

Donít waste the time and donít try to boot from the external USB CD/DVD drive.
    This is simply not possible!!!

The BIOS does not support a booting from the USB ODD. The BIOS supports the HDD, ODD, LAN and USB FDD as bootable devices but not USB CD/DVD drive.

You have no other choice as to buy a supported and compatible internal CD drive.

Of course you could try to boot from LAN but this is not very easy and you will need to setup an RIS server.

3. Re: Recovery of my Satellite A30-303
    Beginner
    I take it that ODD = Optical Disc Drive (i.e. CD-ROM/DVD-ROM drive).

And if it can boot from USB FDD, then why cant I confuzzle it into booting from this. Also, Toshiba apparently sells an external USB CD-RW/DVD-ROM drive that you can boot from.

See here: http://uk.computers.toshiba-europe.com/cgi-bin/ToshibaCSG/jsp/individualOptions.do?service=UK&OPTION_ID=114946&t oshibaShop=true&selCategory=4699

So why can't I just boot from my external drive like this one?

Message was edited by: al2k2

4. Re: Recovery of my Satellite A30-303
    Master
    You can not boot because you do not have access to external device. You can try to find MS-DOS driver for this external device. Start your notebook with MS-DOS start disk and involve driver for this external ODD. If you have access to ODD I presume you will be able to use it for OS installation.

Please note that those external ODDs are designed for notebooks without ODD as business class notebook from Portege series. As far as I know recovery image for those notebooks contains driver for external ODD.

Anyway your A30 is pretty old notebook and I believe that replacement ODD can not be expensive.