Welcome to the Toshiba Support Forum, created for customers and enthusiasts to share knowledge, solve problems and discuss technology. To join the discussion, please login or register.

Thread: Lost Recovery CD of Portege M400

1. Lost Recovery CD of Portege M400
    Beginner
    I seem to have misplaced my Recovery CD for Portege Tablet PC. As I understand, the PC came loaded with Windows XP Tablet PC edition.

I only have a CD of XP Pro SP2, will it work if I download and install all the other tools and utilities for this Model from the website?

I have heard that local guys charge extra for giving the CD, isn't it available from a link for download?

Pls advise!!

2. Re: Lost Recovery CD of Portege M400
    JohnnyS
    Hi,

unfortunately you will need the XP Tablet Edition, because there are some features implemented which are needed for tablets (like the support for the tablet screen/stylus pen input, some other tablet related functions) and can not be installed afterwards trough some drivers.

The other thing is, since everybody has to take care of the stuff shipped with the machine you will have to pay for it, if you want a new CD.

That´s like you buy a car and lost the keys, it´s not covered under the warranty and you will have to get a new set of keys.
    Regarding the download, I don´t think they place a Windows XP on the website to download. When you buy a toshiba then you buy the windows which is with the machine. So if the place it for download on their site, then people which didn´t purchased such windows will get a windows for free and this is not in the "sense of the inventor" when you know what I mean.

Greets

3. Re: Lost Recovery CD of Portege M400
    Beginner
    Thanks for the Reply Johnny. I disagree just a bit, even if they don't want to place windowx XP on the website, they should create a batch file of all the utilities and drivers and allow for it's download, so that, right after the installation of Windows XP Tablet Edition, I can run this batch file on my M400 and zoon..I go!!

By the way, Am I bound to the Stylus Pen that came along with the Protege? Can't I use any other marking device (the one used with normail Imate, Nokia's etc) to work with my Tablet screen?

4. Re: Lost Recovery CD of Portege M400
    Master
    > … they should create a batch file of all the utilities and drivers and allow for it's download…
    You will nto find a batch file but you will find a single Toshiba drivers and tools for XP tablet edition on the Toshiba European driver page. There you can find everything what you want. Also the installation instruction ;)

> Can't I use any other marking device (the one used with normal Imate, Nokia's etc) to work with my Tablet screen?

Well, you need the pen only for touching. So I assume other devices could work too.
    But I would recommend using the Portege’s pen. It supports a special tip to not scratch the display.