Welcome to the Toshiba Support Forum, created for customers and enthusiasts to share knowledge, solve problems and discuss technology. To join the discussion, please login or register.

Thread: Function keys issue on a Satellite A100-049

1. Function keys issue on a Satellite A100-049
    Beginner
    Hello, I am new to this forum so please bear with me if I am in error.

I have just bought a Satellite A100-049 and inadvertently pressed the F10 key. The LED below the key illuminated and I discovered to my horror that I could not type certain letters and, worse, I could not turn off F10, whatever that is! I eventually had to restart.

I can see what F1 to F9 do from the drop down list at the top of the screen, but I cannot work out what F10, F11 and F12 do, and am in constant fear of pressing them again! The handbook and Toshiba web site don't seem to offer any help, although it is probably because I don't know where to look.

Can any of you kind experts out there fill me in?

Many thanks,

John

2. Re: Function keys issue on a Satellite A100-049
    Hi there,

maybe I know how to resolve your problem. Try to press "Fn+F10" (Hold Fn and press F10 at the same time).
    Then your keyboard should work properly again.
    Maybe you pressed a key combination (e.g. "Fn+F10") and then the alternate keypad on your keyboard was activated.

Please give some feedback if my hint helped you.

Greets

3. Re: Function keys issue on a Satellite A100-049
    Beginner
    Thank you for that. You are quite right.

I have just downloaded the handbook for this model. I didn't earlier because I thought it would be just the same as the handbook supplied with the computer, but it isn't; it contains much more information, including the answer to my question.

Funny, though, that the F10 function would not turn off (by pressing Fn + F10).

Anyway, thanks for your response.

John