Welcome to the Toshiba Support Forum, created for customers and enthusiasts to share knowledge, solve problems and discuss technology. To join the discussion, please login or register.

Thread: Portege 3500: system32 file missing - BIOS update?

1. Portege 3500: system32 file missing - BIOS update?
    Beginner
    Hi everyone,

I have got a Portege 3500 PIII-M 1.33GHz which has been infected by a virus. I have been trying to reinstall Windows Xp, but the file SYSTEM32 is now missing or has been corrupted.

I downloaded the BIOS driver and tried to install it through an external CD drive, but it did not work out.
    Could you please help me at all?
    I am quite concerned about the situation

Look forward to hearing from you

Thanks

Davide

2. Re: Portege 3500: system32 file missing - BIOS update?
    Master
    Hi

I can’t believe that and virus can damage the BIOS!!!
    I think you have updated the BIOS with the wrong procedure!!!
    Did you check the document how to update the BIOS?

Anyway, the system32 fault has nothing to do with BIOS and I don’t understand why you started the BIOS update.

The Portege 3500 does not support an internal drive and therefore if you want to install the OS you have to use a compatible external PC-card drive.
    I assume you use such drive for booting.

If some error messages appear during the installation procedure, you should firstly format the whole HDD and delete all partitions and then try again to boot from the recovery CD!

3. Re: Portege 3500: system32 file missing - BIOS update?
    Beginner
    Hi

I have been trying to format the whole HDD through an external CD ROM, but it does not work.

The instructions I have been given by Toshiba are:
    1. place the CD into the CD rom,
    2. power up the computer while holding down the "C" key (release it when the screen reads Toshiba)
    3. the computer will format the hard drive and install the factory base image.

As soon as I release the "C" key I am requested to select the safe mode option and whatever option I select it says that the file SYSTEM32 is now missing. So there is no way I can format the HDD

Any idea what to do?

4. Re: Portege 3500: system32 file missing - BIOS update?
    Master
    Hi again

The “safe mode” appears because the notebook did not boot from the external drive but only from the internal HDD!!!
    As I said above you have to use an compatible drive!
    If you use the compatible drive you can press the F12.
    The menu with different possible booting devices should appear. There you can choose the PCMCIA drive!