Welcome to the Toshiba Support Forum, created for customers and enthusiasts to share knowledge, solve problems and discuss technology. To join the discussion, please login or register.

Thread: No DVD drive after harddrive upgrade on Satellite Pro A100

1. No DVD drive after harddrive upgrade on Satellite Pro A100
    Beginner
    Shortly after upgrading my harddrive, the optical drive stopped working, it now no longer shows up in 'My Computer' or Linux. Device manager says:
    "Windows cannot load the device driver for this hardware. The driver may be corrupted or missing. (Code 39)"

I have tried reinstalling the drivers, the DVD-RAM drivers and the DLA software.

Any ideas are much appriciated.

Edit: I've just tried an external drive and it has the same problem, this looks dire

Message was edited by: theplatypus

2. Re: No DVD drive after harddrive upgrade on Satellite Pro A100
    The error 39 was described a lot of time here in our little community ;)
    Please check this thread fro example:
    http://forums.computers.toshiba-europe.com/forums/thread.jspa?threadID=13843&messageID=50483

There you will find a link to the MS knowledge base document which describes how to fix it.
    Use the Method 1: Remove the registry entry

3. Re: No DVD drive after harddrive upgrade on Satellite Pro A100
    Master
    Try to solve this issue as described in Microsoft article but I have just one question?

After HDD upgrade have you used delivered recovery media to install OS?

4. Re: No DVD drive after harddrive upgrade on Satellite Pro A100
    Beginner
    Thanks, that worked a charm.

Pedro's question is a little more embarassing, I did use the recovery CD, but, I decided to try something different (lazy) this time; I didnt' want to have to reinstall all my programs and settings so I took a little shortcut, I haven't yet decided whether it was worth it. Most things are working fine, it's just itunes and AVG that aren't now.

It wasn't til after that I noticed the file & settings transfer wizard again, I guess this is what that's for, I'm yet to try it out though

5. Re: No DVD drive after harddrive upgrade on Satellite Pro A100
    Master
    I really don’t understand why my question is embarrassing for you. You can use it but nobody force you to do this. Usually when the notebook is preinstalled with delivered recovery media the notebook will have factory settings again and every hardware component ‘should’ be configured properly but if you make your own installation and configure it alone it can happen that some hardware part is not installed properly and can not be used.

Friend of mine has had exact the same problem and when I asked him what he has done his answer was: NOTHING!!! So I hope you understand now why I have asked this.

Anyway it is nice to hear that problem is solved and you can enjoy your toy again! ;)