Welcome to the Toshiba Support Forum, created for customers and enthusiasts to share knowledge, solve problems and discuss technology. To join the discussion, please login or register.

Thread: Satellite 1900-303 Memory upgrade

1. Satellite 1900-303 Memory upgrade
    Beginner
    I need to complete a memory upgrade to 1Gb. I have placed 512Mb in the memory expansion socket but now need to replace the internal 256Mb. The user manual says if is possible in that all memory is plugged in to 2 144pin SODIMM sockets and total memory capacity is 1Gb. The expansion memory socket is one, and the internal memory socket is the other. The question is where is the internal one and how do I get access to it? How is the case removed to gain access? Specifically which screws should and should not be undone. All help gratefully received.

Regards,

David.

2. Re: Satellite 1900-303 Memory upgrade
    Master
    I think you have misunderstood something in the user manual.
    Fact is that the notebook supports max 786MB.
    256MB internal memory + 512MB in the second slot.

You can use only one slot for the upgrade. The memory from the internal slot cannot be removed and you cannot place another module.

3. Re: Satellite 1900-303 Memory upgrade
    Beginner
    Jimi
    Thanks for the reply. Part of the reason for this posting was to clear up the confusion. Not in my mind but in general, for what you have said has been quoted elsewhere and I respect the input. But let me quote the user manual Appendix B Features and Specifications page B1.

Memory
    Onboard with two 144-pin +3.3V SO-DIMM modules sockets supporting SDRAM memory modules. Maximum upgradeable to 1Gb by two 512Mb SO-DIMM modules

That leaves no margin for doubt that it is possible to upgrade to 1Gb as described, unless the user manual is WRONG. It may be, that Toshiba don't want us to do so, hence one of the sockets is buried in the case and not readily accessable. If that is the case, then why publish the maximum supported memory is 1Gb.

I've just run the laptop specification though an application on www.orcalogic.co.uk to check the memory specification I quote.

TOSHIBA Satellite 1900-303
    Standard Memory 256Mb (Removable)
    Maximum Memory 1Gb
    Total memory slots 2

My original question remains where is the socket and how do I get access to it?

Thanks again

David.

Message was edited by: topcateng

Message was edited by: topcateng

4. Re: Satellite 1900-303 Memory upgrade
    Master
    Hey David

I have to say Sorry, I heave read too fast and it was my mistake.
    This machine has two expansion slots but 1 slot is user upgradeable!!!
    It seems it's possible to upgrade both slots with 512MB module but the user can upgrade only one bank because the second is hidden under the keyboard. The removing of the keyboard cancels the warranty and therefore I though only one slot support the 512MB.

my mistake, sorry ;)

5. Re: Satellite 1900-303 Memory upgrade
    Beginner
    Jimi
    There is no need to say sorry. I value the input because it will help somebody else in the future. In essence you are not wrong. Only one slot is readily available and the natural assumption is adding 512Mb to this slot is the only upgrade possible.

My machine is out of warranty so I don't have a problem with opening the case. I'm just a bit reluctant in case some of the screws should not be undone under any circumstances becasure thery are holding other components that should not be disturbed.

Unless somebody comes along with a don't do this list I guess I'll have to try my luck carefully

Thanks again

David.

6. Re: Satellite 1900-303 Memory upgrade
    Beginner
    Jimi
    Job done. I now have a Laptop with 1Gb Memory installed. You acutally gave me the clue in your last reply. <quote> "removing the Keyboard"<quote>.

A Google search discovered this site

http://repair4laptop.org/disassembly_toshiba.html

It has a large amount of disassembly information on many laptop models including step by step photographies.

Armed with this information it was a simple matter to remove the keyboard retainings screws. It's not necessary to remove the keyboard, just turn it over and rest it on the palm support surface. Locate the socket and replace the 256Mb module with a 512Mb module. Of course making sure all the precautions against ESD were taken. (Wrist strap, ESD mat etc)

Thanks again for your responses. Let's hope we have helped somebody else along the way.

Regards,

David