Welcome to the Toshiba Support Forum, created for customers and enthusiasts to share knowledge, solve problems and discuss technology. To join the discussion, please login or register.

Thread: Lack of USB power on M200 Portege

1. Lack of USB power on M200 Portege
    Beginner
    I've found a few posts on this subject but nothing that gives a definitive explanation of how to solve the problem of lack of adequate power from the USB ports on my M200.

I have a LaCie DVD burner that operates perfectly satisfctorily on other computers when powered only by USB, but simply won't work on my M200.
    I have also tried to use a simple HDD enclosure with a spare drive in it and it wouldn't work either.

I've tried a few of the suggestions from other threads such as unchecking the box "Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power" on the properties tab for the USB Root Hub in Device Manager; and I've updated the drivers where available.

What else to do?

2. Re: Lack of USB power on my M200 Portege
    Master
    Hi

How about the external USB hub with a own power supply?
    My brother uses a external USB 300GB HDD and this device works only if the external USB hub is connected between the HDD and the notebook from other manufacture.

I think it could be a similar issue with your external writer.

3. Re: Lack of USB power on my M200 Portege
    Beginner
    Getting the DVD drive to work isn't the problem - I can simply plug in its own power supply. The problem I am trying to solve is why won't it work from my M200? In theory USB 2.0 is a standard so a USB 2.0 port should deliver the specified power yet mine don't seem to. The drive works fine via USB only on the desktop in my office.

4. Re: Lack of USB power on my M200 Portege
    Master
    This is what I mean. I think the drive could work on the Portégé if the external USB hub with the own power supply is connected.
    The USB 2.0 or USB 1.0 provides the same power. The USB ports supply 500mA. I think the desktop PC USB ports provide a little bit more power and therefore the drive can be detected without any problems.

5. Re: Lack of USB power on my M200 Portege
    Beginner
    Just to be clear - what I'm trying to do is to find out why the external drive won't work via USB on the M200 when it works OK when connected by USB to a desktop. Whether or not it works via a hub is not the issue. Is there anything anywhere that defines the spec of USB for notebooks to be lower in terms of power than for desktops?

6. Re: Lack of USB power on my M200 Portege
    Master
    Ok... what OS do you use on your notebook.
    Possibly some registry entries are corupt. Did you try to reinstall the OS image from the Toshiba recovery CD?

7. Re: Lack of USB power on my M200 Portege
    Beginner
    Since it's an M200 it's XP Tablet Edition. But this isn't the issue - the drive has never worked only on USB and I've done at least two clean installs since getting the drive. And interestingly I tried it on a colleague's Toshiba notebook (not sure which one - they all look the same!) and it wouldn't work on it either. But I read recently that the power through the USB port is increased by the demand of the device attached in 100mA increments up to the 500 mA max and perhaps Toshiba set their ports not to comply with this so as to make you buy their own (expensive) external drives! And as an aside last year I bought an external enclosure for a spare 2.5" HDD for connection via USB and it woudln't work either.Something is odd!