Welcome to the Toshiba Support Forum, created for customers and enthusiasts to share knowledge, solve problems and discuss technology. To join the discussion, please login or register.

Thread: Cannot use external monitor as the primary monitor with Portege M400

1. Cannot use external monitor as the primary monitor with Portege M400
    Beginner
    I am unable to use the extended deasktop feature with my m400. I installed the latest video drivers. When I go to the intel graphics media accelerator driver under display properties and choose extended desktop I can't use my external monitor as the primary monitor.

2. Re: Cannot use external monitor as the primary monitor with Portege M400
    Hi

Maybe is it technical limitation of Intel graphic card. I know for example that on Portege M200 it is not possible to set the external monitor as primary device and the internal screen as secondary device. No way.

Maybe some M400 owner post own experience about that.

3. Re: Cannot use external monitor as the primary monitor with Portege M400
    The same on my satellite.
    Iím not able to enable the option ďprimary deviceĒ on the external monitor.
    Of course, Iím able to use the extended desktop option and other external monitor options but the primary device settings for external monitor are grayed out.

So I think itís not possible to do something like that. As said above, it could be a technical limitation.

4. Re: Cannot use external monitor as the primary monitor with Portege M400
    Beginner
    You could try and update the Bios to the Vista ready version 3.1.0. It enables a lot of features on the graphics card that were previously unavailable. With this BIOS I managed to display on an external monitor as the single display device (thus as primary), I didn't try yet to switch both panels on. Marijn

5. Re: Cannot use external monitor as the primary monitor with Portege M400
    Beginner
    mvanstralen, I came to this site randomly through google, but I'm wondering if you can give me some specifics on how you got your 945GM-running laptop to work on 1360x768, as I am running one with the same chipset, and having trouble. It looks bad on my 32" LCD, because it's at 1024x768.

My concern is that I'm under the impression you're running Windows Vista? Is this the case? I'm on Windows XP Media Center.

Any helpful information you could provide would be greatly appreciated!! If this is deemed inappropriate for a Toshiba message board, please feel free to email me: dingledodies at gmail dot com

6. Re: Cannot use external monitor as the primary monitor with Portege M400
    Beginner
    I'm also running Windows XP (Tablet Edition, but that doesn't make the difference). The problem with the Toshiba M400 was that the resolution 1360x768 was not defined in the VBIOS for this laptop. Only recently, they implemented the wide screen resolutions in the VBIOS. If it's defined in the VBIOS, it will just show up in the graphics properties, once a wide screen device is connected.
    So probably, for your laptop, the wide screen resolution is not defined in the VBIOS. You will have to check the latest BIOS certainly. If that does not solve the problem than you'll have to wait till the manufacturer will release a new BIOS, or you'll have to mess around with the intel embedded graphics driver. With this driver you can define your own VBIOS. I don't have any experience in working with this embedded driver, but I know that's isn't without any risk if you start to mess with it. Maybe you can find some help in doing this, but if you're not very experienced in this I would recommend to just wait for a new BIOS from your manufacturer. Good luck, Marijn