Welcome to the Toshiba Support Forum, created for customers and enthusiasts to share knowledge, solve problems and discuss technology. To join the discussion, please login or register.

Thread: Re-installing XP on Satellite A10 - Should I use recovery CD?

1. Re-installing XP on Satellite A10 - Should I use recovery CD?
    Beginner
    Hi,

I have a satellite series laptop (A10), bought new 2 years ago.

Recently it has been running very slow, and following a lot of advice i have decided to reinstall windows.

Can i do this with the product recovery cd's that came with my computer? I have the 3 original disks that came with the computer. If it is possible, how do i do it? I read on another post (for a different series Toshiba laptop) that its a case of booting from the cd by holding down c whilst starting the computer - is this correct for the A10?

How difficult is the process? I have an external drive to back up files etc

Cheers for any help

Phil

2. Re: Re-installing XP on Satellite A10 - Should I use recovery CD?
    Lorelei
    Hi,

if you really want to reinstall your system, the easiest way is using the recovery CD.
    First of all you should backup your important data to the external drive.

Then, as you already know, boot from the recovery disk #1 by pressing "C" when starting the laptop.
    (This sometimes doesn't work, so you have to press F12 to get to boot menu, or press Esc to enter BIOS setup for changing boot priority.)

If the computer is booting from the disk (Win98), then just follow the appearing menus (it's really easy!!).
    But don't forget, the whole HDD will be formatted.

Bye

3. Re: Re-installing XP on Satellite A10 - Should I use recovery CD?
    Lorelei
    Hi again,

reinstalling the system on your own (some poeple recommemd this ?!?) is not more difficult. (It just takes a longer time, and can be very annoying.)
    You need on "original" Microsoft Windows CD, and boot from it to reinstall the operating system.
    After that the real job will begin:
    Download and install all the drivers and software from Toshiba's download page.

There you will also find a thing called installation instructions. Follow this order to avoid problems.

Good luck!

Bye

4. Re: Re-installing XP on Satellite A10 - Should I use recovery CD?
    Beginner
    Cheers for the info - its a great help!

Will go for the simple option - not confident enough to do it on my own, and for my level of use there probably isn't any advantage.

Going to give it a try tomorrow - i think i have backed everything up so should be ok.

Thanks again

Phil