Welcome to the Toshiba Support Forum, created for customers and enthusiasts to share knowledge, solve problems and discuss technology. To join the discussion, please login or register.

Thread: Portege M200 - fixed at 598MHz

1. Portege M200 - fixed at 598MHz
    Beginner
    I have a Portege M200. The processor reports that it is 1800MHz but seems to be fixed running at 600MHz. The HWSetup program installed (v4.03) does not have a CPU tab although the documentation suggests that it should. Have downloaded HWSetup 4.2 but this reports an Error 401 when I run the installer. I would like to get the processor running at fuill speed - can anyone help me understand how to achieve this?

Thanks

2. Re: Portege M200 - fixed at 598MHz
    Master
    Hello David

Can you please tell us more about your Portege? Is this second hand unit or is maybe the mainboard exchanged?

3. Re: Portege M200 - fixed at 598MHz
    Hi

I have read in this forum about a similar issue and mostly such it happens if the motherboard or the CPU was changed or repaired but the technician has forgotten to update the microcode.

As far as I know only the authorized service provider can update the microcode. Therefore I think you should contact the guys in your country and ask for the further handling.

Good luck

4. Re: Portege M200 - fixed at 598MHz
    Beginner
    I bought the m/c new. However, it was returned to Toshiba for a fix, which would have involved replacing the motherboard, about 6 months ago. I have only just now looked at the system diagnostics and realised that the clock speed is wrong.

David

5. Re: Portege M200 - fixed at 598MHz
    Beginner
    I'll do that, thanks for the note. Now I just have to figure out when will be a good time to lose the machine for 2 weeks!

D

6. Re: Portege M200 - fixed at 598MHz
    Beginner
    Hi,

Did you get this fixed? I have the same problem

Andrew

7. Re: Portege M200 - fixed at 598MHz
    Master
    @drakey78

The solution is simply… the microcode must be updated.
    …unfortunately such update can be done only by Toshiba authorized service provider. Contact the guys in your country.