Welcome to the Toshiba Support Forum, created for customers and enthusiasts to share knowledge, solve problems and discuss technology. To join the discussion, please login or register.

Thread: Portege M400 Recovery CD in English

1. Portege M400 Recovery CD in English
    Beginner
    Hello, i was hoping someone could help me. I just bought a Toshiba Portege M400 off a guy on eBay. When i received it, all of the manuals were in german, but the operating system and programs were in english when i turned it on. So i decided to test the recovey CD to see if it would work because i knew i would probably need it in the near future. However, when i installed it the operating system was in german, all of the toshiba programs were in german. I emailed the guy i bought it off said to contact toshiba and see if they would be able to send me a recovery CD that is in english. I hope that someone can help me coz ive now been left with a tablet pc that i cant use coz i dont understand german =(

Thank you
    Gary.

2. Re: Portege M400 Recovery CD in English
    Beginner
    Hi, I had a similar problem except for one thing. I wanted a German recovery DVD, but what I got was a Danish! The reason: You can buy a replacement DVD (you have to sign that you have lost the original DVD), but they only give you one in the very same language that was supplied with your Portege. Since my Portege originates in Danmark, they wanted to sell me a Danish recovery DVD, allthough I bought it from a German dealer who changed the keycaps to a German keyboard.

What you should do is check out the origin of your Portege (you can do it here on the website or call Toshiba). If it originates in Germany there is no chance to get the English version legally. That's what the call center at Toshiba Europe told me. If someone else has other information about Toshiba's policy I would be happy to know, since the German recovery is exactly what I need.

3. Re: Portege M400 Recovery CD in English
    Beginner
    Hey. Yeah i emailed Toshiba and they said that because the license for the Portege is for German, they cant send me an english recovery CD. I still havent got it fully sorted... meanwhile however i have installed Vista RC1 on it so that atleast i have an english operating system and Vista even recognises that its a tablet pc and automatically installs Windows Journal and Tablet PC Input Keyboard and all. The only thing i couldnt get to work was the fingerprint scanner becuase the software isnt supported on Vista. Most of the toshbia software wont work on Vista but who ever uses most of it anyways. So why dont ya try to get your hands on a danish verion of Vista??

4. Re: Portege M400 Recovery CD in English
    Hi guys

I get the same info from the ASP in my country. You can only get the Toshiba recovery CD in the same language where the notebook was bought.
    If you want to use another OS language so you have to install the OS from the original Microsoft CD and then you can download and install the necessary Toshiba drivers from the Toshiba driver site.
    By the way. Every user manual in every language you can also download from the Toshiba site.

5. Re: Portege M400 Recovery CD in English
    Master
    Hello Gary

I have heard that Toshiba will make own tools and utilities for Vista for older units (maybe not all produced in 2006 but for many of them) and next year you will probably be able to download tools and utilities for your Portege M400. Be patient!!! :)

6. Re: Portege M400 Recovery CD in English
    Beginner
    Hello!
    I am relieved that I found your message. I have bought an english Portege and need the German recovery CD version :-)
    Maybe we could exchange them... ;-)

Regards
    Dorle